Honda Insight Forum banner

Aux plug install?

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  AP1ZE1 
#1 ·
In the age of smartphones, I keep all my music on my device. Has anyone successfully installed an aux plug or Bluetooth system in their first-gen insight? I did some searching and found nothing.

I'd like to keep the oem headunit if possible. I know simply adding an amp and wiring direct to the speakers will work, but id like to avoid that.

Any thoughts or experiences guys? Thanks!

Mike B

#4 ·
Do you have the changer? I found this:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum.../15413-how-add-aux-radio-cd-changer-free.html

There are generally adapters that you can use to plug X device into the changer port and the car will think your device is the changer.

Alternatively I think an RF modulator would be the only way to keep the stock head unit, but the sound will suck.

FYI For less than $100 you can get a great new head unit that will greatly improve your sound quality using stock speakers as well as add the aux input you desire.

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't have a changer in my car, and I'd like to stay away from a new headunit if possible.

Why? Just keep it on a shelf. My cheap Alpine is SO much more versatile than the stock one, and it was very easy to install. I can easily reinstall the stock one if I ever want to.

Sam
Aftermarket headunits are all quite gaudy and flashy (unless spending big bucks), and only gives a reason to break my window. My area isn't friendly sometimes.

I'm a fan of keeping everything as OEM as possible, so keeping the stock unit would be ideal for me.

The units from GROM (brand) are very popular and versatile. The basic box is an aux-in with a USB port for charging. You can purchase add-on units for iOS control and Bluetooth if desired.
This may be the way to go, thanks for sharing. I never came across them.
Just sent them an email and will let you guys know how it goes. It looks like it'll plug and play.

Mike B

#5 ·
I'd like to keep the oem headunit if possible.
Why? Just keep it on a shelf. My cheap Alpine is SO much more versatile than the stock one, and it was very easy to install. I can easily reinstall the stock one if I ever want to.

Sam

#8 ·
if you can solder, you can add a aux port to the existing radio. Even though I actually had a flashy pioneer unit installed which had aux, mp3 & a million sound settings. I didnt like how it didnt fit with the look of the rest of the interior, so I just added an aux port in my stock radio and removed the pioneer. I prefer the simplicity of the stock unit too.

Its not that easy though, because the spots to solder are very close, and you have to do some trimming behind the faceplate to fit the aux jack in. You're basically using a switching audio jack radioshack sells for about $4. The tuner outputs the audio signal (R, L, and Gnd), you just cut the trace on the board, send the radio signals to the aux jack and back to where they originally go. When you plug in something into aux, it disconnects the radio and feeds your audio signal to the amp.

A easier option is one of those cd changer aux adapter they sell on ebay for around $30-40.

#11 ·
if you can solder, you can add a aux port to the existing radio. Even though I actually had a flashy pioneer unit installed which had aux, mp3 & a million sound settings. I didnt like how it didnt fit with the look of the rest of the interior, so I just added an aux port in my stock radio and removed the pioneer. I prefer the simplicity of the stock unit too.

Its not that easy though, because the spots to solder are very close, and you have to do some trimming behind the faceplate to fit the aux jack in. You're basically using a switching audio jack radioshack sells for about $4. The tuner outputs the audio signal (R, L, and Gnd), you just cut the trace on the board, send the radio signals to the aux jack and back to where they originally go. When you plug in something into aux, it disconnects the radio and feeds your audio signal to the amp.

A easier option is one of those cd changer aux adapter they sell on ebay for around $30-40.
Thanks for sharing. This is what I was looking for.

Would you mind posting a link to the audio jack you're referring to? I couldn't find it after some searching.

Mike B

#9 · (Edited)
Do you have a schematic for exactly what is connected to what? Even MS Paint will do to let me visualize the circuit.

I want this so bad I can taste it and I happen to have a surfeit of ribbon cable at the moment.

Is there a +5v source somewhere in the radio? It'd be awesome to put a USB port for at least slow charging a smartphone plugged in there.

#10 ·
If you take out the board, you will see the points labeled. You are just intersecting the radio signal as it comes out the tuner module and goes to the preamp. I put 2 wires for the L and R from the tuner that go to the aux switch, then two wires come back to where the tuner audio signal originally went to. And you cut the traces on the board so the audio signals take the route through the aux plug instead of directly on the board. When you plug in the cable, it disconnects the tuner's audio, and feeds your audio.

There are lots of diy's like this if you google for aux radio tape etc... Some people use the tape's outputs as well. I tried that too and it works good, but you need a dummy tape inserted to make the stereo switch to the tape input. (http://oi29.tinypic.com/35atyx2.jpg)

Got the radio idea from here:
AUX in (IPhone, IPod and another mp3 player) in stock BOSE system is possible!!! - Club RSX Message Board

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.