Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 2001 Insight reaching the end of the 100K extended warranty, I took it into my local dealership, Hopkins Honda in Fairfield, CA. It made a tappeting sound for a few blocks when first started on a cool morning.

They kept it overnight, heard the sound, and isolated it to the #2 piston.
After conferring with Honda Tech., who wanted them to tear the engine down, they argued for a new short block and got it.

Since the bottom of the engine was going to be new, I decided to make the top new, and (at my expense, of course) ordered a full head job. And since all would be in pieces, I thought I might as well get a zero-time clutch to go with my zero-time engine, so I ordered a disk, pressure plate, pilot and throw-out bearings.

$1,250 later, I have a gem. In three weeks, I have put 1400 miles on it, and the MPG has been increasing steadily. I have averaged 63.2 MPG for the 1400 miles, and today I did a 93 mile round trip- mostly highway- with about six miles of city, for 73.0 MPG.

My warranty did not include any provision for a rental car, but Hopkins gave me one of their courtesy cars for three weeks and 1400 miles.

With all the problems Insight owners have had with dealers, I just needed to say something good about Hopkins. And no, I have no affiliation with the dealership or any of the employees, I’m just a very happy customer.

Tom Balmer
’01 #1042 ECOBOT

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice to hear, Thomas. I'm in SoCal and have a good dealership here as well.

This "tappeting" sound when cold, was it happening consistently? I think my '00 is doing something that sounds like "tappeting" when cold, tap-tap-tap-tap-tap in the engine until it gets warm, then it goes away... maybe i need a head job too... :eek: :shock: :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flymuck,

Yes, when ever I started it when cold. I could still hear it after I had done a valve adjustment at 50K.

While I was waiting for parts, the head work etc, I read-up on others who have had piston problems. There are a few.

The thing that disappointments me is that since I bought the car at 21K ("Honda Certified Used Car"), I have only used Mobil-1 Synthetic oil. When Mobil stopped selling it the first time, I bought all I could find; 28 quarts. I also change the filter at each oil change, not every other change.

I had no indication that anything was wrong with the head or clutch, I just wanted to give it an extra 100k when It would cost me the least.

As for your '00, I would get a valve adjustment and see if the sound changes or goes away. It doesn't cost much.

Here's to happy endings,

Tom

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks, Tom -- I will put "valve adjustment" on the list for the next time my baby goes in for service, and go from there!

It's a good idea to replace those other parts when you have it all torn apart -- the labor alone makes it worthwhile. We have restored a 40-year-old Datsun, which has given me quite the education about cars, and the amount of labor involved! :-D

All the best,
-fly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts