Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my Insight is used mostly in the flat open country of East Anglia UK its been returning mpg figures expected from this type of terrain and I am pleased.This usually is a figure of 82mpg (imperial) for a tank average of mixed driving,however having just made a 470 mile round trip to the west of England I am stunned to record a figure on the return leg of 87.5mpg over a distance of 175 miles.
The reason I am surprised is this was mixing it on the motorway almost in a race mode at times,with my wife constantly telling me to slow down at speeds up to 84 (hardly economical driving) and in rolling hill type terrain a opposed to the normal flat country.
All I can say is this car is phenomenal and im sure most non Insight owners think im loony when I tell them the figures.
My only complaint is the excessive road noise generated on coarse surfaces,does extra insulation cure it?
Dgate

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Extra insulation definitely helps with road noise. Stay out of the loony bin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can vouch for the magical effects of Anglian byways on Insight mpg. Last year I spent a week on the North Norfolk coast, having driven from London. My outward trip was 86.5mpg average, return 81. Comfortably the best figures I've had on any sustained journey in the UK. I think its all the long sweeping A roads deep in the countryside. And Anglia is stingray flat.

The car got spectacular attention in Norfolk and Suffolk. In London its noticed but doesn't really stop the traffic, although a tramp shook his head in disdain at it last week.
There's a few around now because people want to avoid the congestion charge. Toyota Prius', old and new, are increasingly common.

Dgate, what's been the local reaction to yours?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sulphur Man,
Actually my previous Smart car attracted far more attention but believe that was because it was on of the first ones around back in 1999.
It seems if someone comments on the Insight and does'nt know what it is, it usually has to do with the rear skirts!!
I have had the odd approach from people who know and have read about Hybrids and are curious about the economy,but probably due to my enthuasiam their eyes glaze over and I then have break off and depart.
What colour is yours?

Dgate

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine's the silver, or 'quantum grey metallic' as the log book says. First registered Sep 2001. I picked it up Feb last year from Chiswick Honda for 10995 with 11K on the clock. I traded in a Civic Coupe as part of cost.

Yes the rear wheel covers have had some feedback. A Turkish man on the South Bank commented on the resemblance to his old Citroen Pallas. And a friends 4 year old son who's heavily into Thunderbirds saw a resemblance to Lady Penelope's FAB1.

Yes, one needs to curb their enthusiasm. I too am prone to drawling on interminably about the finer aspects of the car when prompted. I've managed to curb the enthusiasm though and just stick to the financial benefits. A friend who kept teasing ('milk float' being one) was allowed to take it for a spin and now rates it, particularly the acceleration in 2nd.

Talking of performance, and perhaps this requires a seperate thread, have you needed a change of boots on yours yet? Mine came with Bridgestone B291s all round. I've just had 36K service and it needs two new fronts. The B291 is still available but apparently THE eco tyre to have is the new Bridgestone B330 EVOs. Anyone using these yet? Perhaps this does need a new thread...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts