Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the last 2 weeks in Japan and while I saw many wild looking cars on the streets, absolutely no Insight drove by even once. No dealers I called or visited had any in stock, but "could get them", and none of my Japanese friends had even heard of the car. Also, as for parts--same story, virtually nothing in stock but "can get it". Prices seemed high (green footlights were $80 and not in stock--maybe that's not high, but too rich for a little perk). A drag because I wanted to take photos of the white Insight and see how the double din looked in person.

The good news is that most of the autos in Japan get 30+mpg, and there were very few big SUV's anywhere.

Loving the immediate jump in MPG now that we've warmed up in New England. Was averaging around 58 in the winter, now back up to 70+ in Spring temps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same story here when I went last year. Was there for a little over a week and didn't see any Insights. I did see a couple of Toyota Prius I & II hybrids however.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You say you didn't see any new Insights in Japan ...

I've heard or read somewhere that 2006 is the last year for the Insights ...

If the above is true and since I know I'm not the brightest guy in the world, I have to ask, is it possible that we who currently own one or more Insights have an almost guaranteed collector item here?

Fred

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I watched a program on Japanese autos. I believe their tax structure is such that it discourages keeping a vehicle for more than a couple of years. An Insight is definately a longer term investment.

Around here I often see an Insight several times a day, but never one belonging to someone else. :roll:

Is it a collectable and rare auto? I've seen more Ferrarri Testa Rossas this year! :D

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It sure is! The Insight is an obvious classic if there ever was one. I bet there are several of them sitting in storage garages in California waiting for 50 years to go by.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
I watched a program on Japanese autos. I believe their tax structure is such that it discourages keeping a vehicle for more than a couple of years.
I understand that the Japanese have a very tough roadworthiness test for vehicles when they are three years old. This makes their cars relatively expensive to maintain after this point; this is intentional to ensure that the Japanese buy new cars. The second hand value of Japanese cars older than three years therefore crashes. Great for us Brits as we then export them over to the UK. These exports combined with low sales - the Insight has been around since 1999 in Japan and so is no longer considered a fresh and new design (important to them) - means there are very few Insights in Japan.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
As I understand it. As well as the tax increases each year of ownership,
they have a yearly inspection program, where you drop the car at a shop, they check everything top to bottom, give you an estimate, and if you don't fix it all, you get a rejection sticker, and can not keep the car on the road.
People that can do their own maint fare better. Her Nephew has a 10 year old Mazda rotary that looks and runs like new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.