Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a situation with my car. Due to clogging in the car's draining tubes, some water has leaked into the back trunk and soaked the back seat. This has led to a warning notice of "Power System Problem, Power May be Reduced, See Dealer", and unable to switch between Econ/Sport/EV modes after driving for a while. Other than that the car runs properly, and the motor seems to be working as well.

The staff at the service center says that the battery is also soaked, and insists that I must replace the entire battery system, which takes at least $8000. This may not be able to be covered by the insurance. They warn that otherwise the battery may catch on fire or deliver electric shocks.

The service center is not willing to check the intactness of the battery, claiming it is risky for them, and replacement is the only option they offer.

I would like to ask, in case the insurance cannot cover it. Is the battery replacement necessary? If I manage to dry the vehicle and the battery sink, just by placing it in a sheltered area and evaporate the water out, is it reasonable for them to deny inspecting the battery then? How would one know if the battery is indeed damaged if the trunk is dry? And what would the risk be if the battery, the trunk and the backseat is dry from now on, but there were some amount of damage done to the battery already?

Thanks

·
Administrator
14,166 Posts
Is it under warranty?

Take it too another dealer maybe?

If the battery/ima etc really has been thoroughly soaked then yes it could be a problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is discretionary of course by any service technician whether they would work on a vehicle or not. With that being said, it is dangerous to work on any high voltage system without proper safety precautions. They would have to disconnect the existing battery the same way if they inspected it or replaced it. They are trying to convince you to replace the battery and earn the most profit as most service departments do. I agree with @retepsnikrep. Dry it out as best you can and then give thought to taking it to another dealership to try and convince them to troubleshoot any issues. At the same time though, do understand that flood damaged vehicles are prone for having problems present themselves later with regards to electronics also. Something may seem to work just fine now but now to far down the road, have a problem. Good luck! And I don't understand why any insurance agency would not cover it given you carried collision on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
This all sounds a bit strange. Which drains were clogged? Second, is there a warning or preventative maintenance procedure spelled out in the owner's manual on keeping said drains clear? Has the car been in an actual flood? Did this happen during the recent hurricane in GA? In which case you may be able to claim that the drains were not adequate for the torrential rains. Who said the drains were clogged? Have you seen water inside the car before?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This all sounds a bit strange. Which drains were clogged? Second, is there a warning or preventative maintenance procedure spelled out in the owner's manual on keeping said drains clear? Has the car been in an actual flood? Did this happen during the recent hurricane in GA? In which case you may be able to claim that the drains were not adequate for the torrential rains. Who said the drains were clogged? Have you seen water inside the car before?
The drain was clogged because I haven't cleaned my car for a long while, and I park under trees all these times. I did see inside the battery. There were indeed some water on the top of the battery, expected more a few days ago just after the rain stopped.

·
Registered
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
105 Posts
The comprehensive area of your insurance policy should cover the battery issue if truly caused by water intrusion that is not a result of a manufacturing defect (which warranty would cover).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts