Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Honda Insight EX without Navi. I tried to wire a Winplus Yada BT55815-50 Flex Mount Backup Camera purchased at my local Costco to a rear backup light. I was unable to fish the power cable for the camera through the outer frame of the hatch on either side. There is foam or something blocking the channel through which Honda routes wiring. Honda uses rubber accordion boots to route the wiring from the hatch to the body, making for a weatherproof route. I do not want to drill holes in the hatch and run a black wire along the white frame, as one member has done.

So, stymied at connecting the camera to the backup light circuitry, I was wondering about another alternative: connecting the camera wiring to the hatch outer handle switch wiring. This would mean the camera would always be on and charging while the vehicle’s locks are unlocked. But the camera may not be powered by the vehicle’s circuitry when the doors are locked.

Alternatively, I could connect the camera power cable to the hatch latch switch, which always passes power unless the hatch is open.

I understand that I could use the magnetic mount option with no wiring, but that would require removing the camera on a daily basis to charge it with the vehicle’s 12-volt socket, which is hot only when the ignition is turned on. Permanent hard wiring of the license plate adapter is the best solution for me.

Your thoughts and/or suggestions, please.

Jim Scott
Eureka, CA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case Gen 2 owners wish to hardwire a wireless backup camera to a backup light, this post by another member shows how to do it: (I'm a newbie with less than 2 posts, so see the next version of this for the links.)

If you've bought one of the new Winplus Yada Flex Mount Backup Cams at Costco (currently $139.99 with a $40 rebate at my local Costco), you may wonder how to connect the license plate adapter mount to power permanently. The Winplus Yada installation/owner's manual suggests removing the magnetically mounted camera and plugging it into a 12 volt power outlet or using the LCD monitor's power cable to charge it (4-5 hours charging time). But the manual doesn't offer any suggestions about permanently wiring the camera's license plate adapter to a 12 volt source, which makes more sense for most users.

So here's the official word from a Winplus/Yada customer service rep, in response to my e-mail inquiry:

"NOV 06, 2017 | 09:36AM PST
Jeremy Ramsey replied:
You may wire into any power source you choose as long as that power source is giving a steady 12v or more.

If the power going to the camera drops below 12v the camera will not send an image.

It will be fine to wire to a power source that has constant power so the camera will always be on when power is supplied.

Regards,
Jeremy Ramsey
Customer Care Rep.
Office Hours Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm
PH: 866-294-9244
820 S. Wanamaker Ave.
Ontario, CA 91761"

So there you have it: Information on how to hard-wire a backup camera affixed to the license plate to the right backup light.

Or, if you have one of the Winplus Yada BT55815-50 Flex Mount Backup Cameras, which is a new version in Winplus's wireless backup camera Yada product line, information on how to hard-wire the license plate adapter to a 12 volt power source in the rear hatch.

Keep in mind that if the camera adapter is wired to an always-on power source, that will drain the car's battery. Therefore it makes sense to wire it to a power source that is only on when the ignition is on. I'm not sure how I would do this in the Insight as I've not studied the service manual well enough. I may just go the route usetheearth suggests.

This Yada camera has a built-in magnet as well as a battery good for 4-5 hours, which means it can be removed from the license plate adapter and mounted on a trailer or other place on your vehicle or a trailer that's made of steel. The camera has a top-mounted manual on/off switch. It sends signals to the monitor via wi-fi. In addition, the system comes with a hitch mount that plugs into a standard round trailer hitch power connector. The camera can be magnetically attached to this adapter, or removed to be placed elsewhere.

I've been using an earlier Yada 5" wi-fi model (BT54860-50) with the camera permanently installed on the license plate bracket and hard-wired to the left backup light on my 2008 Element in back and with the monitor hard-wired to the fuse block inside. It's a robust system that delivers a good clear picture with no dropouts, glitches or blackouts. When mounted on the Insight's license plate, the camera lens protrudes just slightly beyond the back edge of the chrome H bar above it. The BT55815-50 Flex Mount camera protrudes another inch or so beyond that (3.5" from the license plate), thanks to the battery and magnet inside the adapter base.

To my eye, the BT54860-50 looks OK on the Insight, while the BT55815-50 sticks out like a sore thumb. Either unit looks OK on my Element. So I'm probably going to put the older, slimmer unit on the Insight and hard-wire it to the right backup light, and install the latest/greatest magnetic mount camera on the Element. The new BT55815-50 also has the ability to pair with a second wi-fi camera (and display both cameras on a split screen), which could be handy for monitoring behind a trailer or inside a horse trailer, for example.

And, if you were wondering, I'm simply a Honda owner with no affiliation or even tenuous connection to Winplus/Yada other than as a purchaser of its products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Backup Camera Wiring (with link)

In case Gen 2 owners wish to hardwire a wireless backup camera to a backup light, but a post by another member, usetheearth shows how to do it.

If you've bought one of the new Winplus Yada Flex Mount Backup Cams at Costco (currently $139.99 with a $40 rebate at my local Costco), you may wonder how to connect the license plate adapter mount to power permanently. The Winplus Yada installation/owner's manual suggests removing the magnetically mounted camera and plugging it into a 12 volt power outlet or using the LCD monitor's power cable to charge it (4-5 hours charging time). But the manual doesn't offer any suggestions about permanently wiring the camera's license plate adapter to a 12 volt source, which makes more sense for most users.

So here's the official word from a Winplus/Yada customer service rep, in response to my e-mail inquiry:

"NOV 06, 2017 | 09:36AM PST
Jeremy Ramsey replied:
You may wire into any power source you choose as long as that power source is giving a steady 12v or more.

If the power going to the camera drops below 12v the camera will not send an image.

It will be fine to wire to a power source that has constant power so the camera will always be on when power is supplied."

So there you have it: Information on how to hard-wire a backup camera affixed to the license plate to the right backup light. Or, if you have one of the Winplus Yada BT55815-50 Flex Mount Backup Cameras, which is a new version in Winplus's wireless backup camera Yada product line, information on how to hard-wire the license plate adapter to a 12 volt power source in the rear hatch.

Keep in mind that if the camera adapter is wired to an always-on power source it probably will drain the car's battery. Therefore it makes sense to wire it to a power source that is only on when the ignition is on. I'm not sure how I would do this in the Insight as I've not studied the service manual well enough. I may just go the route usetheearth suggests.

This Yada camera has a built-in magnet and the adapter has a chargeable battery good for 4-5 hours, which means it can be removed from the license plate adapter and mounted on a trailer or other place on your vehicle or a trailer that's made of steel. The camera has a top-mounted manual on/off switch. It sends signals to the monitor via wi-fi. In addition, the system comes with a hitch mount that plugs into a standard round trailer hitch power connector. The camera can be magnetically attached to this adapter, or removed to be placed elsewhere.

I've been using an earlier Yada 5" wi-fi model (BT54860-50) with the camera permanently installed on the license plate bracket and hard-wired to the left backup light on my 2008 Element and with the monitor hard-wired to the fuse block inside. It's a robust system that delivers a good picture with no dropouts, glitches or blackouts. When mounted on the Insight's license plate, the camera lens protrudes just slightly beyond the back edge of the chrome H bar above it. The BT55815-50 Flex Mount camera protrudes another inch or so beyond that (3.5" from the license plate), thanks to the battery and magnet inside the adapter base.

To my eye, the BT54860-50 looks OK on the Insight, while the BT55815-50 sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on my white Insight. Either unit looks OK on my maroon Element. So I'm probably going to put the older, slimmer unit on the Insight and hard-wire it to the right backup light, and install the latest/greatest magnetic mount camera on the Element. The new BT55815-50 also has the ability to pair with a second wi-fi camera (and display both cameras on a split screen), which could be handy for monitoring behind a trailer or inside a horse trailer, for example.

And, if you were wondering, I'm simply a Honda owner with no affiliation or even tenuous connection to Winplus/Yada other than as a purchaser of its products.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts