Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another post, I've been seeing recals every 300 or so miles or pretty much everytime I took the car out. It sits for a few days in between drives and within 50 or so miles from starting out it recalibrates.

Yesterday I was headed home, about a 110 mile drive and it seemed the car was really tough to keep in lean burn and the battery seemed like it was constantly charging, this was about 50 miles after a recalibration when the battery fully force charged itself. It was a hot humid day as most of summer is in MO at about 98 degrees. I had the A/C on full time which was a first for me, my dog looked like he was going to explode, so I felt I didn't have much of a choice ;)

All of a sudden while driving, the IMA and check engine lights came on. My battery guage showed about half full but I got no charge, and no assist. I pulled over, turned the car off and restarted. The check engine light stayed on but the IMA light went out. I continued my drive home but got no charging or assist from the battery guage. About 20 miles later I started to get some green bars on the charge guage and some assist when needed. The battery guage didn't seem to move from half full though, it just stayed there even with a lot of charging going on. Another few miles and the IMA light came on again and the charging and assist stop functioning again.

I drove the rest of the way home with no assist, you sure can tell when it's not there! The trip took my lifetime MPG from 76 to 72 so I'm not looking forward to driving it in for service. I got home and called the dealer, all they could tell me was to bring it in. So I have an appointment on Friday to hopefully find out what's going on, although I doubt they'll be able to take care of it that day since it took a month just for them to get parts for the headlight recall.

Anyone ever experience a similar thing? Does it sound like my batteries are gone? Pretty strange if they are, with only 31K miles, I'd say. Any comments are welcome.

·
Registered
700 Posts
With the IMA indicator, they will probably replace your IMA battery. That, as you said, would be unusual at such low mileage. Unfortunately, someone has to be in the skinny area of the bell curve....

Do you still have the original 12v battery?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm at 80,000miles and the battery has never recallibrated(that i've noticed). It may turn out to be a good thing for you as they should replace it for free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 12V battery was replaced at about 26K miles.

It's funny, the car was just in the service department for the headlight recall just about a thousand miles ago, and I told them about all the recals and asked them to check to see if anything is wrong. They nicely told me everything was fine and gave me the standard "This is how the Insight works" printout that I'm sure they're required to give when someone complains about something like this.

It will be interesting to see what they say on Friday and of course how long I'll have to wait for the parts.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I don't think they (dealers) have much of a clue about what to do with the IMA until the light comes on. They don't do any preventative maintenance. Nobody is trained for repairs on it, there's not nearly 100 years of tradition like in ICE repair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm at the dealer now (Wi-Fi iPAQ), and they just came and told me they'll be replacing the battery. Parts will be here on Monday.
They have to order the tool to remove the battery pack too, the guy says that Honda won't give them a tool, they have to borrow it?!? First time I've heard anything like that.

So it turns out 31K miles is it on my IMA battery. I hope this one lasts a bit longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts