Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 MT Insight with 219K miles (71.2 lifetime mpg). I bought it new and regularly get it serviced at the dealer. (Yes, that hurts, but I’m not mechanically handy, and they’ve kept it in nearly ‘perfect’ order.) The batteries were replaced at 211K.

On yesterday’s commute, the CHRG/ASST/BAT displays went ‘bad.’ (See pdf photo.) I called the dealer who guessed (from the photo) that the cluster gauge might be going bad, but would need to see it first. That part is apparently over $1000 + 3-4 hrs to install.

As far as I can tell, the dealer’s been honest with me for 13 yrs, but before taking the car in for this, I wanted to hear from the experts on what the possible problems and solutions may be. If it is a cluster gauge, I’m wondering if it’s worth searching for a used one (which I know will have no warranty). If I found one, I'd still have to have someone else put it in.

PS: I had to put the photo inside a PDF, because the uploader said my JPG was invalid. (Using PCPaint, I edited it down to the 19.7kb min.)

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
if I were you I wouldnt worry about it, just leave it the way it is. but if you want to replace, I would get a used one unfortunately the mileage is stored in the cluster not the computer so you would have "different" mileage with the different cluster, and I would say 1-2 hr for labor not 4.

·
Registered
928 Posts
if I were you I wouldnt worry about it, just leave it the way it is. but if you want to replace, I would get a used one unfortunately the mileage is stored in the cluster not the computer so you would have "different" mileage with the different cluster, and I would say 1-2 hr for labor not 4.
I'm in agreement here. Seen it before on other Insights, including one of mine. Everything still works fine. If you do decide to replace it, it is a 45 minute job. I have done this several times to change out the failed trip button. No way three or four hours.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am inclined to just live with it, even if the gas indicator went away. (My commute is pretty regular, and I fill up 2x/mo like clockwork.) I just try to keep everything running right, but $1K+ is expensive for cosmetic work.

As for the mileage, the dealer said they'd send it out to a shop that specializes in setting the "new" one to the same numbers. It's a local shop, and I could do the delivery (in a rental) myself. That could save me a few days rental fees.

I wish I had the confidence to replace it in an hr or 2 myself. It's not that I can't use a screwdriver (or do electrical of any kind), but I just don't believe I won't encounter the usual unexpected obstacles--inability to see what needs unscrewing, lack of a specialty tool, or depressing realization that I made things worse.

Thanks for the feedback; I think I'll just let it be (unless this thread convinces me otherwise)...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,624 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
You need the LCD display assembly, part of the combination meter.

Majestic has it for $729. Less on the used market of course.

Changing it will not affect your mileage indication. I would estimate about 1 hour to change if you've done it before. Otherwise two hours more or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.