Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE BEEN DRIVING MY 2005 INSIGHT FOR TWO YEARS
I HAVE DRIVEN IT 33,000 MILES AND MANAGED TO TICK UP THE LIFETIME MPG AVERAGE 4 TIMES TO 57.1

I WAS GOING GREAT WITH THIS CAR UNTIL LAST WEEK WHEN I HIT A DEER ON THE WAY TO WORK .
THE INSURANCE COMPANY WANTS TO TOTAL IT OUT AND GIVE ME A CHECK FOR $1900 .

THEY WILL DEDUCT SALVAGE VALUE FROM THAT AMOUNT IF I DECIDE TO KEEP THE CAR .
I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO TAKE ON ANOTHER PROJECT SO ONE WAY OR ANOTHER , I AM GOING TO HAVE TO LET IT GO .

IT HAS JUST SHY OF 190K AND HAS A MANUAL TRANSMISSION WITH NO SECOND GEAR PROBLEMS .
I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE . IT MUST BE A MANUAL .

DSC_1970.JPG

DSC_1971.JPG

·
Administrator
11,018 Posts
That looks fixable to me...

New bonnet wing and headlight.
Front top radiator cross member thingy etc etc

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd argue with that $1900. There are people that specialize in appraisals of wrecked cars and it's entirely worth their fees. When I totaled my 2006 in 2016, I got like $5k, and that was before these started showing up on bring a trailer.
On a side note, I can't get them now, but I have a slightly better hood and fender on my totaled blue insight I'd be willing to let go of. Life is a bit weird right now, so it'd be at least a month before I could grab them, though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What’s frustrating to me is that although the car isn’t REALLY totaled..... the insurance company says it is.... so that means a salvage title. Is there a way to avoid them “totaling” the car? I don’t really understand the insurance ins and outs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only way I can see is to convince the insurance company that it's cheaper than their cutoff to repair so that they fix it instead of totaling it. If the body shop will accept customer provided body panels and can do the frame repair for less than the cutoff, I'll go get my parts to keep it on the road. The hood is slightly crumpled in the same corner and there's a crack in the fender, but if you convince insurance you can live with that, it might work out.
But if you accept a payment, it's going to have a salvage title. No way around it, unfortunately.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I’d go with finding the parts preferably in the same color.... and get a reputable body shop to repair any possible frame damage. Then at least there’s not a salvage title....

·
Registered
239 Posts
What’s the scrap value? $1900 minus scrap value - so maybe insurance company would pay you $1500 for repair? You could get the fender, hood, headlight and bumper from someone on IC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That whole plan hinges on getting a quote from a body shop to use user provided parts or buy parts from someone here (as stated before, I have a car in the same color with only minor damage to those two panels). It might help to also pay for the appraisal and get some more wiggle room for repairs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I really hope you find a way to keep that little gem. Insurance companies are not a lot of fun. Hopefully using an appraiser suggested will make your case better. Good luck. You know you have a cheering section.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had basically the the same car as yours. It got t-boned by a truck. it smeared the whole front end forward of the wheels to the right doing a lot more structural damage. I loved the car, the color everything. Insurance gave me $3900. I found the insight community very supportive and encouraging me to do a restoration. But it would have been too much work. I took the loss and found another within a couple months. In the end I was out about $2500 after buying the next Insight. I’m very happy with my new one tho I miss that deep blue pearl. But I didn’t miss the work and hassle of trying the restoration. Sometimes it’s just best to move on. Yours has less damage and in the end it’s up to you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear this. We all are.

On the bright side, Your car is worth more in parts and will live on.

I’d buy the car if you were closer.

I need some parts so please pm me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HERE IS THE LATEST . I ACCEPTED DELIVERY OF A 2000 INSIGHT TODAY
IT ISN'T OPERATIONAL AND WILL NEED NEW BATTERIES .
OTHER THAN THAT IT IS PRETTY CLEAN & STRAIGHT WITH NICE WHEELS AND NEW TIRES .
ODOMETER SHOWS 148K WITH A 54.7 LIFE TIME mpg .

THE CAR IS COSTING ME $1700 SO THE INSURANCE SETTLEMENT WON'T
COVER THE CAR + THE COST OF REPAIRS . I AM JUST TRYING TO GET BACK WHERE I WAS .
DSC_1991.JPG
DSC_1990.JPG
DSC_1992.JPG
DSC_1993.JPG
DSC_1994.JPG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Did the cop let you tag the deer?
Process the deer and eat it all year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm Glad you found another one. Sorry to hear about the incident.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition! Best of luck with it.

Please see below:

I'd argue with that $1900. There are people that specialize in appraisals of wrecked cars and it's entirely worth their fees. When I totaled my 2006 in 2016, I got like $5k, and that was before these started showing up on bring a trailer...
I believe ttsgeb is referring to public insurance adjusters, also called independent ins adj. They work for you and can get you a better settlement from the insurance company.

I believe they’re more often used for homeowners insurance - but there are public adjusters for automotive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts