Honda Insight Forum banner

Bad engine coolant temp sensor?

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  stonerider 
#1 · (Edited)
So I get code p0128 and now I've actually done some basic troubleshooting:

Engine comes up to temp quickly.
Fan cycles on and off sitting still like normal.
Coolant is full.
Wit infrared temp gun I get 180-205ish outlet temp at the water outlet.

Car ran totally fine before this started happening, now it fast idles and doesn't always die of at stop lights like it did previously.

It is very consistent: you get the temp to crawl up the gauge to almost half way, and up to about 182F on the obd2 reader and then after it hovers there for a couple minutes, it immediately drops to 127-130f on the obd 2 reader and the temp gauge drops to 2 bars.

Has anyone had this be anything besides a temp sender? How hard is it to change? Maybe I messed it up repairing the transmission, but i doubt it, I'm pretty careful and it drive fine for weeks/months afterwards.

I also get code p0134 and the front 02 has recently stuck at .5 volts basically no matter what. Someone have a link to an inexpensive replacement oe quality one they are happy with? Can it be anything but the 02 if it fails to respond once up to temp and tested with flame?

See less See more
#7 ·
Here are some pictures of a sending unit. New out of the box, I went and pulled it from stock.

Auto part Hand Automotive engine part Fuel line

Here is a picture of the top looking down to the right side of the oil cap is the cam sensor, the temperature sending unit is under the cam sensor on the back of the engine. It is not visible in the picture.

Now I’m leaning over the engine and the camera is basically upside down. Now you can see the sending unit. I’m pointing at it with my finger.

Here is a picture looking down on top again this time I have a 19mm socket and an extension in place, under the rear cam sensor.

Scott

Reactions: minor4326
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.