Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been said from time to time that the Gen 1 insight teaches its owner to drive it. Mine has slowly taught me to drive it so the IMA battery is always as fully charged as possible. This means that for the most part I try to avoid calling on it for assist. I’m sure this is mostly because preserving the health of my IMA battery has become a priority due to its expensive replacement costs. I suspect tho that this may not be the best thing for the IMA battery. That in fact working it hard and regularly may in fact be the best thing, driving it like you stole it, as they say.I wonder what you others might think about this.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My battery gets a workout as I drive along the coast. As you know we have quite a few hills and the trek to PDX on 26 is quite hilly and 30 not as much. I see my IMA battery go up and down. It makes me crazy. It is uneccessary worry. Honda knew what they were doing when they designed this car.

Being pretty much locked in the house means I can do a grind charge (full charge and drain to a full charge cycle) as a springtime tune up for the battery. And I will try to stop worrying about the battery because it is working just fine despite my worrying.

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
When the UK G1 rally car ran on NIMH many years ago it always worked best when given a sound thrashing.

Our batteries get lazy and need to workout to keep in top condition just like us.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I first got my insight I was consumed with anxiety about my battery health and did everything in my power to attempt to bring it to full capacity. I avoided assist at all costs and drove well below the speed limit. My battery consistently read below half and frequently went to near zero while also feeling weak when it did kick in. As the months passed I allowed the car to teach me what it needed and now drive with a completely different approach. I push it when necessary, don’t dog the engine in higher gears even though it’s always telling me to shift up and surprise my battery now reads full at all times. Not only does it stay full but my mpg’s are better than ever, the assist power feels stronger and I’ve NEVER grid charged or balanced my cells. I do drive frequently and almost never take short trips. My usual commute is about 20-25 miles each way and I believe that my battery appreciates the workout.
A few weeks ago I replaced my worn RE92’s with a fresh set and saw an immediate decrease in mpgs but several hundred miles later they are continuously improving.
My experience is that with proper use, the battery takes care of itself. If however your car sits for long periods of time or you only take short trips, your mileage may very. That said, I’ve got almost 190k on a stock IMA battery going strong.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I think it depends. But in general, whatever range the car allows you to use, I think you'd be better off if you used it good and hard rather than always trying to keep it 'full'. Keeping it full is inefficient, yet I also think there's degradation associated with most if not all of that inefficiency.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts