Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend who bought my G2 from me last year got stranded.

I immediately suspected 12v batt cables loose or something. Blue stuff all over positive terminal. I cleaned those up real good and scratched them for good connection and got the cables tightened down really well.

I go to start the car, idle was really rough, soon CEL starts flashing. ScanGauge II shows P0303, so misfire cylinder 3.

Oil looked normal, and was at normal level, no milky stuff so not a gasket leak. CVT fluid also at right level, looked okay.

I can check the plugs next time I get out there (was too dark tonight), but what else should I be looking for if it's not a loose plug?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Blue stuff on the terminal might be vitriol, a copper sulfate. The battery may be overcharging some cells spewing acid (when other cells are on their way out and undercharged).
Check the voltage. Low voltage 'might' cause a false misfire warning, or may just be unrelated but then still needs addressing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow. I'm no expert, but unless there's some underlying issue with timing, fuelling or carbon - and considering the original plugs will run for 120,000 miles plus - I'd say there's a problem with those! :oops:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
Need a pic of the rest of the plugs. Looks like counterfeit plugs. Where did you get the plugs. Send a pic to them, mentioning "lawsuit". Better get a borescope and check for other damage.
Check for a hissing in the exhaust. That would indicate a bad exhaust valve, possible from the pieces of the plugs that got destroyed.
Sorry for your demise.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New plugs came in yesterday, this time from hondaautomotiveparts.com

Today I took one of those magnet on a stick type things and swished it around each cylinder from both spark plug openings
Minimal metallic debris was pulled from the cylinders, except cylinder 4, which had a considerable amount (maybe 2 or 3 grams) of some sort of black ferrous detritus. It looked like soot, but usually soot is not magnetic. I dabbed it around multiple times from each spark plug hole, I think I got most of it.
Perhaps cylinder 4's valves were positioned in such a way that the magnet had better access to the debris than the other 3 cylinders? Or maybe there was something special with cylinder 4?

After swabbing the cylinders I installed all the new plugs
Also replaced the old 12v battery
New 12v battery showed 12.5 volts on multimeter before I plugged it into the car -- is that low?

Car starts and runs, but the idle is still kinda rough. Nowhere near as bad as before, but still a problem. The CEL eventually came on again after maybe 10 seconds and it got P0303 again. I cleared the code, restarted the car, same exact thing.

I'm not sure what to do next. Do they rent boroscopes at like Autozone or O'Reillys? My best guess is I should remove the cylinder head and put in a new gasket and inspect the inside of the cylinders.

Or perhaps the injector coils on cylinder 3 got damaged and that's the problem? I can swap the coil packs to see if the problem follows them to a different cylinder.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would not trust a magnet to clear all debris. Do you have access to an air sprayer? If the nozzle can pass through the plug hole you may see debris finding its way out - the hole is the only escape.
The only 100% safe way is to lift the head though. You might want to inspect the valves etc. Maybe the plug damage is just a symptom.

Once all is clear, it may take some time for the codes to not reappear.
When I was tinkering with my IMA buddy pack and throwing codes I would remove the buddy pack and clear the codes. Then it would throw two bonus fault codes within a mile or two of driving. Once those were cleared everything was back to normal.
Something like that may be the case here too. Disconnecting the 12V battery for a while may prevent this memory effect - but I have not tried that out.

A fully charged battery should read approximately 12.6 Volt. So a reading of 12.5 Volt is absolutely fine, especially when installed in the Insight which continuously draws a couple of mA engine off.

Reactions: Natalya

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Find a bore scope / camera, try to look inside. You may not be able to see anything.
Do a compression test.

I would not have put the spark plugs back in without doing those things first, with as bad as the plugs looked.

You will probably end up pulling the head. If you do be sure to send the head to a machine shop and have it professionally checked. Don’t just put a gasket in.

Scott

Reactions: Natalya
1 - 8 of 8 Posts