Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
For everyone's clarification on acrylic/plexiglass vs polycarbonate/lexan:

Acrylic aka plexiglass chips and shatters easily, though it'd be better than the safety of a glass sheet
Polycarbonate, also commonly known under the brand name Lexan, does not shatter, and is quite a bit more durable.

They both look very similar, make sure you know what you're buying or repurposing.
This so much. People will use plexi on flexing stuff,and it will shatter and cause severe injury. From my experience it gets as sharp as single pane, non tempered glass when it shatters! Ouch!

·
Registered
2000 MT
125 Posts
Exactly, think polycarbonate/lexan is the same stuff as rally/race car windows. Mych more durable.

Personally I'd use polycarbonate then tempered glass (same as oem side windows) then laminated (like windshields) then acrylic and finally way at the bottom below plywood would be standard glass.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Would also be interesting to hear about radio interference running without the metal shield over the electronics...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Would also be interesting to hear about radio interference running without the metal shield over the electronics...
I haven't had any issues with radio interference at all and I've been running without any shielding for over a year.

·
Registered
2001 M/T Honda Insight
36 Posts
One more thing nobody mentioned yet. Polycarbonate (don't know about Lexan) does yellow over time from exposure to UV radiation (sunlight). That's why most cars on the road with PC headlight lenses have a hazy yellow appearance as the UV light oxidizes the surface. I don't imagine it'll happen anytime soon with your project, Reamonster, just something to keep in mind.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts