Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base model 2012 that came with the 2 front door speakers. I want to install all 6 and possibly an underseat sub.

1. What speakers will fit in the dashboard?

2. Is the wiring allready installed or do I need to pull wires for the dash and rear door speakers?

3. Has anyone done this type of upgrade and if so what recomendations do you have?

4. Would you recomend upgrading the stock in dash stereo?

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would start with the front door speakers. Even a low cost Pioneer replacement will make a huge difference. It may be all you need. I cannot remember if there is wiring in the back on the base models. (there are old threads you can use the search here to read) I really doubt there is any wiring to the dash tweeters in a base model. Previous to our Insight my wife & I both drove 2nd generation Honda Odysseys, one an LX & on an EX. The LX did not come with dash tweeters and the EX did. The LX got upgraded speakers in the front doors and sounds better than the EX with just that small upgrade. It's mostly in the details of sound that the better speakers make a difference. We are not loud thumping music listeners but rather world music, podcasts and NPR. Voice clarity is important to me. A speaker that delivers that will also highlight highs in music. Stock Honda speakers in any model are muddy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info egads.
I am not looking for a super loud system either, I just wanted a more complete sound profile. Also passengers in the back have told me that they can not hear the music unless I turn the front speakers up really loud so the back speakers are a must.

Ill search the forum a little more and try to find posts about the dash speakers.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
1, the dash board just houses an inch tweeter. 6 1/2 or so fits the doors.

2, I believe so.

3, Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras

4, YES!!!!!!

I have some Sony head unit that came with speakers in my front doors. I have some kicker fc or kc 60s in the rear doors. Dash tweeters un modded. I got an alpine m450 amp, 12 farad cap and 12 inch pioneer shallow sub and slim truck box behind the rear seat and sandwiched between rear strut brace bar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same dilemma as you about a year ago in my 2010 EX Insight. I initially wanted to get component speakers for the front but decided on some coaxials for ease. My plan was to get components eventually for the front and move the coaxials to the back. However, I've been happy enough with the sound from these polks that I haven't done it yet. I ended up building a simple system using the awesome DYI tutorials on this site. It really is one of the best sounding I've ever had. I did have to spend alot of time playing with the crossover settings on the head unit to get the sub sounding right. Here's what I ended up getting.

Front Door speakers: Polk Audio DXi 650s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com

To Drive the above speakers: Kenwood KAC-1502S 2-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Sub under the seat (don't let the size fool you, does the job): Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT 120-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Head Unit: Pioneer FH-X700BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

If you buy from crutchfield, they give you all the speaker brackets, speaker harnesses, dash kits, etc that you need to do the install.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jodienda Thanks for your shopping list. Unfortunately they dont carry those exact items any longer but I was looking at a very similar setup.

I web chatted with them last night about the dash tweeters and here are the specs for them 1.592" tweeters. 4.025" in depth space.

They said they dont have any direct fit for the tweeters so I would have to fabricate a mounting bracket. Not sure if a component set would be beneficial or not there.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Take pictures if you can as you go through your speaker replacements... will help others do the same!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a base Insight. Installing rear speakers is a snap. I bought Pioneer 6 1/2" speakers($10) at a local yard sale (came out of a Civic no less). I bought an adapter kit off eBay. This is simple upgrade and while the Pioneer speakers are an incredible improvement, these were typically about a $65 pair of speakers. I have not done the dashboard tweeter install. I probably will replace the factory front speakers in the future. The rear doors are already factory wired, I am unsure about the dashboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts