Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 insight with 130K miles. Everything was running great until last recently. I took the car in for the BCM recall and they replaced the BCM module. It was fine for another month and then everything died. The IMA light came on, the check engine light came on and eventually the IMA batt discharged and the starting battery discharged and then my insight died.

Took it to the dealer and they said the computer reported a P1166 and P1447 code and they need to replace:
- IMA battery
- BCM
- Battery conditioner
- Motor control module
(they also said the O2 sensor is bad, but that's probably an independent problem so I'm not fixing that)

Of the four parts they said only IMA battery is covered under warranty, but they got Honda to agree to pay for the other 3 parts but I had to pay for the labor. So my total cost to repair is $405 for labor only to replace all those parts.

Does this sound right? I'm surprised I need to replace all those other modules. I don't mind paying the $405, just don't want to replace unecessary parts.

Bobman

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd jump on that... in a heart beat. Even though my car doesn't need new modules or a battery right now. To get a complete new set for that price is a steal.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I believe the modules for the 00-02 model years had to be replaced in sets so I think Honda is correct on that detail. The modules (and battery) are very expensive and to walk away with all new parts for only $405.00 is a great deal (in my opinion) :)

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah I think it's a steal too for all those parts. I just want to make sure they're not putting in uncessary parts.

I figure the IMA sub system should last another 100K + miles. Even if the car dies, I can always swap them to another insight with dead IMA.

Thanks.

bobman

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
bobman said:
I figure the IMA sub system should last another 100K + miles. Even if the car dies, I can always swap them to another insight with dead IMA.

Thanks.

bobman
Good point ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 02 insight with 130K miles. Everything was running great until last recently. I took the car in for the BCM recall and they replaced the BCM module. It was fine for another month and then everything died. The IMA light came on, the check engine light came on and eventually the IMA batt discharged and the starting battery discharged and then my insight died.

Took it to the dealer and they said the computer reported a P1166 and P1447 code and they need to replace:
  • IMA battery
  • BCM
  • Battery conditioner
  • Motor control module
(they also said the O2 sensor is bad, but that's probably an independent problem so I'm not fixing that)

Of the four parts they said only IMA battery is covered under warranty, but they got Honda to agree to pay for the other 3 parts but I had to pay for the labor. So my total cost to repair is $405 for labor only to replace all those parts.

Does this sound right? I'm surprised I need to replace all those other modules. I don't mind paying the $405, just don't want to replace unecessary parts.

Bobman
Anytime Honda says they are going to help you out after the warranty expires...take full advantage, it doesn't happen very often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts