Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2010 LX I2 with very low mileage on it. Less than 15K miles. The car is in pristine condition and has only been serviced by a Honda Dealership.

Today I had them check the IMA battery and they reported back that it's at 29% usable capacity. To me that sounds incredibly low but the Honda Dealership said that this was fine for being 8 years old.

This is however my first hybrid so I'm not sure if it's accurate. The assist motor does it's job well when on the freeway and such and I also frequently kick it into PHEV mode as much as possible at slow speeds if it doesn't do it itself. I understand that it's not really intended to stay on PHEV mode for long as it's a relatively small battery but I can't help but notice that it seems to shift to charge mode too early. I very rarely see the charge drop below 40% or so and at around 60% it will want to force a charge.

·
Registered
622 Posts
While most ppl seemed to have good results with an IMA battery reviving itself after purchasing a low mileage car or one that was sitting for long periods the one you describe is probably toast ... tough to know for sure if it'll come back to optimum life until it's used regularly ... at any rate I wouldn't trust the word of the dealership

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would be curious of it’s state after being used regularly for about 6 months. It is weak from non use. Folks also confuse hybrids with electric cars. It is an assist battery. It keeps being charged on the fly and will never be at 100%. The computer will always leave some room for charging as it never knows when it my need that room.

Next time it is at the dealer, have them connect it to the Honda computer in their service area to check for, and apply updates.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
+1 to egads.

It's impressive that you could get a dealership to give you that number. Here in the states, dealers will deny that any such number exists.

"Usable capacity" is reported by Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) for HCH2 and G2 Insight. A brand new fresh battery with a recent 12V reset will report at 75%.

I have attached a PDF of HDS output of an HCH2 after a new battery was installed.

I attached an older HDS run of my old HCH2 before I pulled the failed battery... of note...

3% usable capacity and
the battery module voltages ranged from 15.90 to 16.40 at rest

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts