Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2001 5spd/w AC and have some questions regarding the battery charge. When I bought my car a few days ago it had about 7/8 of the battery charged and seemed to stay at that point the first couple days. Yesterday I did quite a bit of start/go driving and noticed that the battery since then has stayed between 1/3 and 1/2 charge. I have no idea if this is normal. I would expect to see it go back to full charge. I drive about 8 miles back and forth to work at an average speed of 50mph with only a couple stops. Help?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quick response: drive with your headlights on, it will keep the "hidden charge" going.

Sounds like a short commute: that doesn't help.

Try slowing very gradually and downshifting to a lower gear to keep regenerative charging maximized. I come out of 5th to 4th to keep the charging going longer if I need to top off the pack. Charging stops when the RPM drops below 1000.

Also try to not use much assist, it can be hard to do, second gear is tough to not light up at least 4 bars.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
When the battery state of charge (SOC) is as low as you describe, the car is suppose to enter "forced charge" mode, ie, 3 or 4 green bars appear as you drive. The forced charge continues until your SOC is about 3/4 full. Then, as you cruise normally on flat terrain, the car is suppose to "hidden charge" or slowly trickle charge itself (no green bars showing) If yours is not force charging itself, there is likely something amiss. If you can get your SOC back up most of the way full, then try turning on the headlights as you drive, to charge it the rest of the way. Billy.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The funny thing is that this started after I changed the tire pressure from 35 all around to 45 lbs all around. I'm not saying this is causing the lack of charge, just strange. I've driven it quite a bit and it won't seem to go above half charge. I will turn the lights on and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help.

As a side, I don't know what the recall issues were for a 2001 but I'm taking it to the dealer on Thursday to have them research... I will most likely have them research the charging issue at that time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
At times my 2002 Insight will not trickle charge either. Been that way forever. But if I drive with my headlights on, not a problem, it always charges as it should.

As others said, the short commutes don't help with keeping the charge up either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts