Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As other Insight owners have reported (including me in the past), my battery charge gauge will suddenly drop every so often. However, after a bit of driving, it eventually recharges. For the most part, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to mine, except that I have noticed it occurs after the car has sat for several days.

I got home Monday evening from vacation, and sure enough, within a couple of minutes after starting driving, the battery gauge did it's usual plunge. However, this time the IMA light came on as well, something that had never happened before. Also, unlike in the past, within 5 minutes the battery gauge read full. It did the same thing yesterday...the plunge and then full charge within five minutes.

The car is going in on Monday for an oil change and they are going to check the IMA code as well. Any ideas what I might be able to expect? The car is a 2001 with 61,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If it comes up with the right codes, you'll get a free battery and control computer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMA battery and warranty

I've been reading posts and this was the first place where someone referenced the computer control as well as the battery. I just got a quote for replacing the battery, under warranty, but they are talking about $3000 worth of controllers etc... You mention that the controllers were included in the warranty. Is that true? If so, I'm thinking the dealer is taking me for a ride.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
According to Honda, 2001 model Insights get both the BCM and MCM replaced when the battery is replaced IF the two modules have not already been replaced. TSB 06-057 instructs this (under the terms of the extended warranty). TSB 04-028 also instructs this under the terms of the original warranty.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

·
Registered
240 Posts
My IMA light came on last night in my 2000 Insight (76K miles on it, second owner). Just as others have reported, this was after some weeks/months? of battery getting depleted quickly, then taking a long time to get back up to full charge. After the IMA light came on, the car was in forced regen until the battery displayed "full"; it also depleted fully on my way to the dealership this morning, then force-charged back to full. The service manager at the dealership was surprised that the battery read full, but I told him it was a lie. Apparently my BCM has already been replaced under a previous recall; I got P1447 code, and they're replacing the battery pack (maybe another controller too, don't know yet).

-fly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts