Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan which attaches onto the battery pack has stopped working on my 2001 model G1. It's the fan that comes on with the Hybrid automotive grid charger and can be controlled with Peter's OBDIIC&C.

When either the grid charger or the OBDIIC&C are trying to make it run, the fan makes a little turning movement every second or two so I assume it's getting power okay. (I first tried checking the fuse but I couldn't work out which one it was. Fuse 5 in the under bonnet (hood) box had IMA plus a fan drawing on it, but it was not broken and pulling it on my other Insight didn't stop the fan on that car from working.)

I assume that the fan motor has just got old and stopped working properly. It seems to spin quite freely by hand and there's nothing blocking it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix other than just replacing the fan? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an upgrade fan and whether it's worthwhile?

Thanks to all - Ghillie.

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
It's busted you need a new one.

You can fit a higher cfm fan with a little dremel/file work.

Various threads on here about that.

Search for IMA fan, battery fan, higher cfm fan etc etc

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peter.

I thought it was just broken. Thanks for confirming.

I may put in a higher cfm fan but I'm a bit wary of going too high. Currently looking at a 138cfm 10w (o.833 amps) fan that hopefully will not require any mods to the electrical system.

I will also price the OEM items from Honda (almost certainly expensive) and then make up my mind.

Thanks again for your response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts