Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am new to insightcentral, and a new owner of an old 2000 Insight. I only purchased just over a month ago. The IMA light came on around Thanksgiving, as a "1447" code. There is someone who fixes Insights near me, who helped me find the code. The person who sold the car thought that the battery had just been changed, but did not have paperwork, as he purchased it from an auction. So, I don't know if the battery is the original battery, or not. I feel stupid for not double-checking.168,000 miles.

I don't know much about cars, this is my first hybrid, and I am a poor medical student (very busy, a lot of debt), so this comes as a big disappointment. So now, I am writing to ask for your suggestions:

do you think that grid charging this battery is a good idea, or just getting a new battery?

The Insight-fixer thinks that it can be grid-charged, but won't know until we try first. New cable is $89, and installation fee is $100. Then he charges $25 per grid charge, in the future. Around $189 total.

Or, I can purchase a new grid charger from Hybrid Automotive for $400. I can try to install it myself (but don't have all the tools--- am looking to borrow, if anyone has), or his installation fee is still $100. $500 total.

I looked at ebay, amazon, craiglist, and here, and did not find any used grid chargers.

I did find a "Maxx-Volts" charger on ebay that is around $150 (less than half the HA price) but it has mixed review on this forum, and my local Insight-fixer does not have experience with it. He recommended HA.

...Or I can get a new battery which can be $1500-$3000, which is currently prohibitively expensive, but I can look to borrow money. I haven't looked into this option yet. Stressful.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thank you so much,
Jiling
(in Los Angeles)

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
P1447 has a good chance of responding to a grid charge.

Given your financial situation, the path of least resistance seems to be to have the shop do it.

Once he has installed the harness, you can buy the charger without harness for $319.

Does the $25 include a discharge as well?

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Yes, definitely grid charge with a 1447. You should grid charge periodically, even with a new battery.

Forget MaxxVolts and other cheap eBay chargers.

It sounds like you're talking to Scott. Stick with him. You are in good hands.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Doh... I didn't see you were in L.A.

+1 to Sam... If you've already found Scott with Jue Motors, you are exactly where you need to be.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
linjiling:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" gem. Lots of good folk and info here on "IC".

+2 on Scott. Scott is the top Insight guy in the country. He recommends and installs equipment from Jeff at Hybridautomotive.com. Many of us use Jeff's equipment, including me.

Keep an eye on the "hybrid socials and events" forum for advertisements of meet-ups that may be near your area. These are great opportunities to meet with other Insight owners to share ideas and experience.

Good luck and happy Insighting,

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Taking the battery cover off might let you know what battery your have and go from there. Cheapest thing to do is bypass the battery if you don't mind the lack of power. Costs nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Taking the battery cover off might let you know what battery your have and go from there. Cheapest thing to do is bypass the battery if you don't mind the lack of power. Costs nothing.
Can't pass CA emissions that way.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
The Insight-fixer thinks that it can be grid-charged, but won't know until we try first. New cable is $89, and installation fee is $100. Then he charges $25 per grid charge, in the future. Around $189 total.
Given your circumstances, this sounds like the most reasonable option to me... Ask about discharging though, too: the 'full treatment' would include discharging the pack, typically in a few stages at progressively lower currents. This might be done once and then in the future you'd just get a charge, maybe some time later you'd get another discharge, etc. In general my thinking is that 'all this stuff' is enough of a hassle that, if you've got better things to worry about, like med school, better to leave it to someone else, particularly if it's Scott at Jue Motors you're dealing with, someone you can trust. The price seems very fair...

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Definitely have Scott do that to your battery. If he says there is a good chance it can be saved, then there is a good chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts