Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
A "recal" is just a reset of the battery charge level display by the Insight computer to reflect the true state-of-charge. You're driving along and all of a sudden you see that the reported IMA battery level is at or near zero. That's the recalibration.

Now, if you have an Insight with a drained or low IMA battery level, you can drive it normally; the car will start and run just fine, as will the A/C, and the Insight will charge itself back up. There's no need to idle the car to charge it up. Recals can happen while the car is in motion; you just keep driving normally. It's not that big of a deal.

The only thing you'll notice is the IMA won't provide assist, or won't provide much, if the battery level is low (whether from a recal or from draining by powering up a hill). According to the Insight specs it's a 10% reduction in peak power and 30% reduction in peak torque. It's a nuisance but you're certainly not at any risk of heat stroke!

·
Registered
804 Posts
No Problem With The Battery

I Live in the Dallas area and the batter generally stays at least 70% charged. It tends to discharge the most if getting caught in stop-and-go traffic.

I would be interested if anyone has taken I70 west of Denver. My old 1988 CRX HF had a problem (note: it was not tuned up for higher altitudes). My concern is the batteries would discharge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I-70 West of Denver

Delta Flyer,
I live between Evergreen and Conifer, Colorado, and I have gone up I-70 to the Evergreen parkway exit (Exit 252 - about 20 miles west of Denver), and not run out of charge. This was during a small snow storm, so I was driving in about 6 inches of snow and slush on the freeway.

A few weeks ago I went over Squaw pass (~11,000 feet) and down into Idaho Springs, then took I-70 East to Evergreen (total trip fuel economy was about 66 mpg). The car didn't have any problems, despite the snow, cold, and elevation.

Randy

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I70 West of Denver?

Delta Flyer, yes, I have taken the exact same route Randy took. The battery keeps its charge just fine. Yes, it goes down to a certain level, then it automatically goes to a charging state, all totally transparent to you. Don't sweat it. The little rocket maintained speed uphill and would have made even better mileage if I had taken it off cruise control (I'm just old and lazy sometimes). Lots of curious truckers commented on our ability to climb hills at speed "in one of them there lil' 'lectric four wheelers" on the CB...

You want to talk abuse?

For the hell of it, during the trip, we drove it up to the top of Pikes Peak last May. I have the sneaking suspicion that we may have been the very first CVT Insight up the mountain (a MT or maybe two may have beaten us up there). Made three or four or five stops going up, just to take pictures, with the engine never turned off. To see what would happen on this little trip segment, I zero'ed out the B trip meter at the gate... the battery slowly and finally dropped to four bars about 2/3 of the way up, and then charging began under acceleration... I did notice a minor loss of power, but nothing to cry about. We reached the 14.1K level with four bars SOC remaining, at the 19.1 mile mark, with 23.9 MPG, with the car idling with 3 bars of charge, and NO overheating. Then we came DOWN at 150 mpg :lol: ! With the tranny on L, the brakes were hardly ever used, and the battery fully charged within 5-6 minutes, giving us an average for the whole there-and-back trip of 40.8 MPG. That's the only time our battery has been (1) that low, and on the way down, (2) that high... it stayed with all bars lit almost all the way down, and well into Colorado Springs before it dropped to its usual 1 bar from the top!

We love our amazing little Insight...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Congratulations! I'd guess that you really came down at more than 150 mpg, it would have been infinite mpg if the car was in fuel-cut/regen brake mode. You can see very very high instantaneous mpg (more than 150 mpg) on the L/100km display, which will go to 0 L/100 km (infinite mpg) when fuel-cut / regen is engaged.

Regarding others who have summitted that peak, David Buckwalter posted about driving his 5spd to Pikes Peak on Yahoo honda-insight back in 2001, and I'm pretty sure that he or someone else did it, and posted pictures of it to that forum.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Up the Peak...

That's what I thought too, that someone else had made it up Pikes Peak with a manual transmission. I THINK we were the first CVT up, but it's not like we planted a flag or anything, if anyone else can claim an earlier climb, that's way cool too. We enjoyed the drive up (and down). If I could figure out how to post pictures to this forum, I would share with the group (a geek I'm not, and I say that with sincere love and envy and admiration for geeks who instinctively know how to do everything well on a computer, maybe one of them could give me a brief primer [away from the forum so we don't get too OT] on how to do such ...magic).

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
If you can put your pictures on the web, then you can use UBB tags to make them visible here (the tag is "Img" and there's a button for across the top of where you type your posts.

If you don't have your own site, there are free picture-hosting sites out there, like this one:
http://www.momentoffame.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
DED - Dead

My batteries just died, or so the dealer tells me. The IMA light came on and then the check engine light. I was quoted $2754 for batteries and $350 for install. I have 84418 on my insight and this is only covered for 80K. See my latest post for more info.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts