Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Recently started getting IMA light again. Thought it time to put it through a charge discharge cycle. I have made my on charger with Constant current LED drivers and discharge through light bulbs. Did this about 6 months ago - charge/ discharge/ charge / discharge and then final charge and it works wonders giving me more power and no IMA light until recently. So went through this process again but after the first charge the lights were bright and took at least 8-12 hrs or more (overnight) to discharge. Went for second charge and then on next discharge there was no appreciable power from the battery so lights went out almost immediately.

Check charging was giving good voltage to the connection point

I appreciate that the battery probably needs either full or partial replacement but would there be a reason that the second charge (around 24 hrs) didn't work. I also appreciate its a home made setup but after the previous success I am disappointed to say the least. I should point out that the car was tatty when I bought it 5 years ago for £250 with one owner from new with full service history and a battery change by Honda approximately 6 years ago. The Car stood for around 18 months unused and I think this didn't do any favours for the batteries. it leaked like a sieve at the time but I have rectified the leaks now.

Can I kill the batteries with this method. I basically followed the you tube video by Peter Perkins and was very impressed.

Thanks to all

Martin

·
Administrator
13,150 Posts
Sounds simply like your charger failed to operate so may be faulty.
Did you turn the IMA switch back on when charging etc.
Check it's voltage and current output with a multimeter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks will check through the contacts and output again. The constant current driver gives 100V and this was reading 100V across the terminals. Switch definitely on.

I assume I leave the switch on when discharging as well. Thanks again for the prompt response.

·
Administrator
13,150 Posts
100v from two drivers with the outputs in series is not enough.
It should be nearer 200v from two, sounds like one is not working.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
118 Posts
Peter is much more knowledgeable than I but have you checked your contacts not at the terminals but at your grid charger harness? I couldn't figure out why mine wasn't working until I checked the crimps for the harness. You may also want to check the outlet you are using. I know it's anecdotal but my outlet was apparently faulty by only putting out half voltage (old building) AND my crimps weren't secure leading to bad connections.

Most harnesses also have a inline fuse, you should check to see if that was blown. That was the issue why my original battery wouldn't charge.

was just a mess of issues and fixing one after the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts