Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove 5 hours and the outside temp never exceeded 70F. When I arrived the Bte (battery pack temp) was reading 90F on my OBDIIC&C. I've got three questions:
- what does it take to monitor when the pack-fan is on/off
- I know air flows from the rear area of the passenger seat into the pack, but where does the air flow to, and how does it get extracted from the battery area?
- what can be done to keep the pack cooler in 70F outside conditions?
Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
On the top right corner of the OBDIIC&C gauge you'll see an f if the fan is on Low, and an F if it is on High. Mine comes on in the high 90s. It wouldn't run at 90. You can also force it to run all the time with the OBD gauge. Mine runs all summer.

I think it goes out through the vents behind the rear bumper.

Keep the car interior under 70* and limit charge and assist. Block the sun from the rear window. Make a water to air cooling system like Sam12345 had at Madison.

Sam

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Vote republican and you should have better results, ha ha, make sure your fan is running put a piece of paper by the vent behind the passenger seat and see if it sticks to the vent,if it doesn't your fan not running,open up and check,plus use have tape around the fan corners to get better flow on the battery. Good luck my freind,miss seen you at insight fest,waiting for a closer venue than Madison,,,

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
90°F is a very good operating temp for NiMH. I'd leave it alone. If you really care, use OBDII to run the fan on high and call it good.

Up to about 120°F, NiMH internal resistance (IR) decreases slightly making the chemistry more efficient; however, the higher temperature can damage cells faster or contribute to voltage depression (capacity loss). As you lower the temp, the IR increases slightly, the chemistry is less efficient and more heat is produced. Below 50°F high current charging will damage NiMH cells.

As a point of reference, the Ford Escape Hybrid (FEH) attempts to maintain the battery between 90 and 100°F. It uses the rear A/C evaporator to air condition the battery to keep it in this range. If it breaks 100°F, it nearly disables the entire hybrid system. It's the primary reason the FEH batteries last so long.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the top right corner of the OBDIIC&C gauge you'll see an f if the fan is on Low, and an F if it is on High. Mine comes on in the high 90s. It wouldn't run at 90. You can also force it to run all the time with the OBD gauge. Mine runs all summer.

I think it goes out through the vents behind the rear bumper.

Keep the car interior under 70* and limit charge and assist. Block the sun from the rear window. Make a water to air cooling system like Sam12345 had at Madison.

Sam
Sam, thanks for your feedback. I'm running Peter's latest code. Maybe Peter can help answer my questions. The only flag I have is a "V" in the far right of position 5 and I don't have a clue what it represents. My "V" is always present, ignition only on and when the car is running, so it doesn't make sense that it represents the VTEC flag. Is the fan-running-monitor a flag that needs setting? How? My battery temp usually runs 100F + on a warm day after several hours running. I did see an "f" at the right of position 7, one time only, but I can't correlate its appearance with anything. How do I determine what flags are set?

·
Administrator
10,719 Posts
Have you read the OBDIIC&C manual in my signature?

A permanent V likely means the car type (in the menus) is not set correctly..

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
The gauge should show a F when the fan actuates. What version of the OBDIIC&C are you using.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The gauge should show a F when the fan actuates. What version of the OBDIIC&C are you using.
Thanks Willie for chiming in. I'm using Peter's latest version. I don't get an F at any time, only the V. Do I need to set a flag for the battery cooling fan?
How do I know what flags go in what positions?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I did see an "f" at the right of position 7, one time only, but I can't correlate its appearance with anything. How do I determine what flags are set?
This was you seeing the fan commanded to the low speed setting.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I miss spoke when I said an f at position 7. Position 7 is being used for Lean Burn showing an L. Actually when I arrived tonight after 3 hours highway driving then extremely heavy traffic in 90F temps, I did see an f, then an F in position 3. I noticed a blip of the coolant temp (Ect) at 207F for less then 15 seconds, but it was normally at or below 203; the Average Battery Temp (Bte) was between 100-104F when the F's appeared. Was either of the F's representing the engine radiator fan? I still can't correlate the F's since the Bte was above 90 for several hours and Ect was in normal conditions for this car. Tomorrow I'll play around with "Bfs","Battery Fan Slow Flg" 0x17 and "Bff","Battery Fan Fast Flg" 0x18.
Can someone please explain how is one supposed to know what Flag is in what position at any given time? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts