Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 5 speed insight that I now use on a 130 mile round trip commute to work. The car has 40K miles and runs great however every day on my trip home the IMA does a recalibration twice. The drive to work is mostly 75 to 80 MPH with a little bumper to bumper traffic but I get to work with the battery almost full. At lunch I drive maybe 2 miles and then on the trip home about 5 miles after I get on the freeway while driving on flat road with no boost the charge indicator drops slowly to 1 bar. After that it charges back up in the next 10 to 15 miles. Later in the commute with a full charge I hit a mild uphill grade and just as I reach the top it does it again and then recharges by the time I get home 15 miles later. On the drive home I get around 55 MPG driving mostly 75 to 80 with A/C on, the drive in is around the same speed with no A/C and dropping 1000 feet in altitude averaging 63 MPG.

I'm actually hoping the battery is failing as it's still under warranty and with the miles I'll be driving I'll be over warranty by next year. The previous owner only drove the car around town and had few highway miles.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Personally, I'd let it keep doing this while you're still in warranty, and hope it throws a code, so you can get the battery replaced. I feel like the IMA reset procedure might put that off, and the battery might fail out of warranty.

Otherwise, all of that is sound advice recommended above. If it does give you a code out of warranty, you might want to try balancing the battery. I assume it's the original battery? If so, it likely has problems from sitting for so long. 40k miles on a 10 year old car is very strange, especially for this particular car. Not driving it can be harder on the battery than driving it too much.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I'm actually hoping the battery is failing as it's still under warranty and with the miles I'll be driving I'll be over warranty by next year. The previous owner only drove the car around town and had few highway miles.
With a 2000 you may be coming very short on your warranty unless the car was sitting in the lot for awhile, do you know the original in-service date? What mileage do you have on the car?

I wouldn't do any IMA resets or 12v battery pulls at all or you will reset it and lose the possibility of getting a warranty replacement.

Insightful Trekker, that isn't the IMA reset procedure and the second link changed, there is some way to modify the URL so it works but I don't remember what needs to happen to get it to come up.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Insightful Trekker, that isn't the IMA reset procedure and the second link changed, there is some way to modify the URL so it works but I don't remember what needs to happen to get it to come up.
Trekker posted the second part of how some people charge the IMA after the MCM reset.......I prefer to just let the car idle for a bit then drive the car slowly (without using much IMA) on a road where you don't have to stop much. By the way.....the Insightful Trekker post is from 2005 and those were the proper links back then....

To use old links.....Replace "forum" with "community" in the URL. For example, the post that can't be found is here:

Code:
http://www.insightcentral.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=750
Recal's, Forced charge, IMA Battery and Thermal mgmt - long - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trekker posted the second part of how some people charge the IMA after the MCM reset.......I prefer to just let the car idle for a bit then drive the car slowly (without using much IMA) on a road where you don't have to stop much. By the way.....the Insightful Trekker post is from 2005 and those were the proper links back then....

To use old links.....Replace "forum" with "community" in the URL. For example, the post that can't be found is here:

Code:
http://www.insightcentral.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=750
Recal's, Forced charge, IMA Battery and Thermal mgmt - long - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner
Thanks for the link

1 - 7 of 7 Posts