Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am using the referenced grid charger/discharger to recondition a compromised orange stick IMA pack.

Unless I have reading comprehension issues (definitely possible), I don't see how this process could reasonably be completed in a weekend (starting on a Friday night) as Hybrid Automotive's directions suggest.

I started Sunday evening and I am just now on my second recharge after first charging the pack, discharging down to 96V, recharging, then discharging down to 60 V. After this recharge, I will discharge down to 12V and recharge.

If I didn't have another car I could use while this process played out, there's no way this could be done working full time and needing the car to commute.

Since I haven't finished yet, I can't tell you if the process will noticeably pep up the IMA pack.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am using the referenced grid charger/discharger to recondition a compromised orange stick IMA pack.

Unless I have reading comprehension issues (definitely possible), I don't see how this process could reasonably be completed on a weekend (starting on a Friday night) as Hybrid Automotive's directions suggest.

I started Sunday evening and I am just now on my second recharge after first charging the pack, discharging down to 96V, recharging, then discharging down to 60 V. After this recharge, I will discharge down to 12V and recharge.

If I didn't have another car I could use while this process played out, there's no way this could be done working full time and needing the car to commute.

Since I haven't finished yet, I can't tell you if the process will noticeably pep up the IMA pack.
Please keep us posted. Hoping you have a favorable outcome.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am on my final recharge for a charge, discharge to 96V, charge, discharge to 60V, charge, discharge to 12V (rebounded to 75V), charge cycle that started Sunday evening so, no, you can't do this in a weekend. A single charge, discharge, charge, maybe, but not a bona fide reconditioning.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll drive it today for the first time in 6 days.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I probably put about 100 miles on the car this weekend. I reset the SOC before driving after the battery reconditioning with a 12V reset.

Thus far it appears the SOC will not drop below 3-4 bars from "full," and when it does decline, it builds back up pretty quickly. Assist and Regen come in as normal.

Mpg up to 55.9 (up about .3) with no highway driving. Local usage was secondary roads at c. 30-50 mph, RPM mostly below 3000 and probably averaging around 2200 +/-.

I am hoping this sees the IMA through another year.

Depending on the Delta variant's ongoing impact on NJ, I expect my commuting time will increase and the IMA will get more regular exercise. As it is, I'm using the car 4 days a week pretty religiously, although those days may not be spaced out.

I am wondering if I should refresh the IMA in six month's time with a simple charge, discharge, recharge versus a full 3 cycle reconditioning.

And sorry, no hard data for eq1 yet again, so maybe this is all placebo effect . . .

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, here's the update: I've driven probably 850 miles since completing the battery reconditioning. Up until yesterday the pack seemed pretty strong.

Starting the car for the third time yesterday, I noticed the SOC had fallen to about the lower edge on the SOC graphic on the dash, so what, graphical representation at 1/3 of a full pack (I know the charge bars aren't linear).

I had background charging for the majority of a 50 minute, mostly highway drive (55 mph).

Arriving home, SOC was at the top edge of the SOC graphic on the dash, probably down 6-7 bars from "full" and did not seem to want to climb much above that.

I got some assist and the regen braking seemed not to be giving me much of anything. I could still moderate assist (turn it off) with judicious use of the gas pedal.

I have to do a bit of driving (probably 120 miles +/-) this weekend, so I will see if things change.

Ambient temps yesterday never climbed out of the mid sixties. Mid seventies is the forecasted high for today.

This pack was brought back from the dead with hobby charger cycling at the stick level about a year ago. It may be well and truly expired.

Linsight can't come fast enough.

Park, how are you making out with the results of your reconditioning?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Park, how are you making out with the results of your reconditioning?
Finished my eight-day-long 3-discharge, 4-charge reconditioning about a week ago. I kept driving the car during the process. I just flipped the battery off when I drove it, and back on when I was parked at home or work and could run the charge/discharge. Here's the data log and graphs of my charge/discharge/charge/repeat series...

INSIGHT CHARGE - Citrus/Silver

The car has been great since I finished. I reset the system by pulling the fuse, then went for a 10-mile drive while it sorted itself out. Auto-stop is back, the pack stays in the top 3-4 bars during regular city driving, and boost is strong. Commuting with a solid IMA is a pleasure. I haven't gone out to climb the big hill out of town (my usual test), but I don't doubt it will be fine.

Given prior experience with this pack, in about six months I'll need to do a thorough multi-cycle reconditioning again. I think I'm blessed to have a pack with some life in it yet. I hope you can get yours sorted.

- Park

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, by the end of 50 miles of driving yesterday, the SOC indicator was at top and car seemed to be assisting and regenning as normal.

Today found the SOC indicator nearly pinned at the top and I found it hard to drag it down more than about two bars from the top.

Here's my question though. If the IMA pack is "full" will regen shut off? I was coasting with a full pack and had no indication of regen occurring. Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
Yes it will. Normal action.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here's my question though. If the IMA pack is "full" will regen shut off? I was coasting with a full pack and had no indication of regen occurring. Is that normal?
I’ve had this happen. It’s very disconcerting when you’re using the regen to provide braking, and suddenly the regen stops. 😮 Thank goodness for the real brakes.

- Park

Reactions: Joule

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I creep up to stop lights even with no one in front of me, but it is good to be aware that this could happen any time the IMA pack looks to be "full."

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I think my IMA pack is well and truly dead. SOC pegged at top, yet IMA and CEL both came on this a.m. No assist, no regen, no auto stop.

Suggestions?

Ideally I could just convert to Linsight, but I am not sure we're there yet.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Bypass. That or new pack. Those are the only options really.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
You might try reading the tap voltages to determine which pair contains the worst cell. You can then remove those two, after a grid charge and see which of the two has the lowest voltage. Then let them sit for a week and see which one has self discharged the most. It is a gamble, but some folk have gotten extra life that way. You could do on bypass while the battery is out, if you want to use the car. eq1 might have other short term options.

It sounds like you are waiting for Linsight, so some limp along measure would seem appropriate;)

Reactions: MparkH

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would be very tempted to install Linsight, but I'm not sure I want to limp along for a protracted period. My daily commute will resume on 10/18. Much of it is on I78 in NJ. Being seriously underpowered on that road is not an option from a safety perspective. I drove the car with IMA bypassed for about the first six weeks I had it and while I don't think it is as bad as a manual with a dead pack, I have no interest in daily commuting with a bypassed pack.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would be very tempted to install Linsight, but I'm not sure I want to limp along for a protracted period. My daily commute will resume on 10/18. Much of it is on I78 in NJ. Being seriously underpowered on that road is not an option from a safety perspective. I drove the car with IMA bypassed for about the first six weeks I had it and while I don't think it is as bad as a manual with a dead pack, I have no interest in daily commuting with a bypassed pack.
Greetings! The last pack cycling with a grid charger had results similar to yours. I have running with the pack bypass for quite a while now. Honestly I find that, although not as good as having a functioning IMA, it is a totally reasonable option. The car is so light that the 67 hp is sufficient to get the job done. The loss of torque for acceleration and lugging @ low engine speed is the primary thing to be aware of. Actually, there is a certain freedom to this option because you don't have to face the fear of seeing the dreaded IMA appear all of a sudden. The driving conditions you encounter definitely play into this. I am old enough that I have had the experience of making due with cars with as low as 25 hp and 36 hp(1950's Volkswagen bugs), that 67 hp works. As far as fuel economy, I took a 450 mile trip on both highway and freeway with the bypass and got very close to 80mpg.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I owned a '68 VW Type III (Squareback), so I have some experience with modestly powered vehicles. Aside from the Insight, that may well have been my favorite car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts