Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regrettably, I have to raise the price of a battery rebuild.

Effective October 1, the labor price of a rebuild will rise from $600 to $750 and while the price per replacement battery stick remains the same at $50, The repair is no longer capped at 8 sticks, but instead at 10. This means that replacement parts which had cost a maximum of $400 will now cost a maximum of $500.

The $150 increase in labor is due to increases in the labor involved in repairing batteries. The additional testing takes additional time and consumes more electricity.

The rise in the cap is due to increases in the prices of source battery packs and an increase in the number of packs coming in that need 12 or even 15 sticks replaced. If it costs me $500 plus $200 shipping plus reconditioning labor to get two packs with a total of 20 good sticks between them, I can't afford to replace 15 sticks for $400. I recognize that the rise in price is mostly due to me depleting the supply of lower-priced batteries, but I consume 5-10 packs per month.

So, effective October 1st, a repair will cost $750-$1250 plus shipping.

Any batteries that are in the process of being repaired will be grandfathered under the old pricing, so if you're planning to fix your battery soon, contact me right away to preserve the lower pricing.

Those with coupons that state "free replacement sticks" will be eligible for up to $400 of sticks free. This was the value of "free replacement sticks" at the time of the coupon's issuance. If they need 9 sticks, they will pay the difference - $50 and if they need 10 or more sticks, they will pay $100.

Again, I regret having to raise prices, but the alternative is to not offer this service (ie go out of business) and that would leave everyone at the mercy of the dealers until someone else stepped up with a similar service.

Ron Hansen
Hybrid-Battery-Repair.com

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
While nobody likes a rise in prices, this is still a very good deal when compared to getting the work done at a dealer.

Thanks for offering the service.
Cheers,
Bryan

·
Registered
191 Posts
battery repair

If you were to start "borrowing" packs from HCH's in parking lots......would that help??? LOL Best of luck, I may need you service years (hopefully many) down the road.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were to start "borrowing" packs from HCH's in parking lots......would that help??? LOL Best of luck, I may need you service years (hopefully many) down the road.
Don't tempt me. :evil:

I drove 1500 miles like this:

There are nine batteries (600lbs) in there. I picked them up all over the midwest. Those pictures were taken AFTER I removed my luggage.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Holy crap, that's a lot of weight for such a small car! Ditto for above, it's still a better deal than the "dealer."

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
I'm just hoping that the supply doesn't dry up too much for these packs. It's obvious that you've been helping quite a few customers and you've been staying on top of acquiring spare packs to hold your supply together. Thank you for providing this service.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy crap, that's a lot of weight for such a small car!
Yeah, it didn't like the hills of I68 in Maryland much going out and it liked them even less coming back. The elevation changes from 800ft to 2800ft over a few miles (I was tracking it with the GPS).

Here are some photos:

Downhill

Uphill

And downhill again (near Cumberland)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At one point (with only 7 batteries in the car) I hit a 13% grade in PA that had me crawling up the hill in 1st gear.

But look what welcomed me at the top:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just hoping that the supply doesn't dry up too much for these packs. It's obvious that you've been helping quite a few customers and you've been staying on top of acquiring spare packs to hold your supply together.
When people ask me that question, I say, "No, they'll crash more."

As long as there are 2003-2005 HCHs on the road, there will be batteries available.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why do HCHs mean more batteries? Are people not fans of the HCH on the site, I mean beside the obvious fact that its INSIGHT central?

I own an HCH1, and like it a lot. Great four dour hybrid, good for an easy 45 mpg.

EDIT: Sorry to pull this more off topic. TO redeem myself: Hooray for battery repairs!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why do HCHs mean more batteries? Are people not fans of the HCH on the site, I mean beside the obvious fact that its INSIGHT central?

I own an HCH1, and like it a lot. Great four dour hybrid, good for an easy 45 mpg.
no, simple economics. The guts of insight and hch batteries are identical so either can be used for parts, and there are many more hch on the road (and hence more wrecked in junkyards) so the hch batteries are cheaper than insight batteries.

I like hchs too.

The joke is that I won't run out of batteries to buy because there is a neverending stream of wrecked cars going into junkyards, and wrecked cars normally run fairly well. Because of the sales numbers, the majority of them will be hchs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, glad mine crapped when it did.

EDIT: Sorry to pull this more off topic. TO redeem myself: Hooray for battery repairs!
I couldn't stop laughing for like five minutes. I don't think I have ever read anything where the insincerity was so obvious... but you tried! Hooray for trying!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Do you also offer this service for Europe customers? I know shipping will be higher. USPS ships parcels up to 30 kg. Does the old battery needs to be sent back?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you also offer this service for Europe customers? I know shipping will be higher. USPS ships parcels up to 30 kg. Does the old battery needs to be sent back?
It looks like I'm going to have to. I have no problem with shipping anywhere in the world, but shipping costs and customs are the problem. An Insight battery in a crate weighs 97-112lbs depending on the thickness of the plywood. Foamed boxes do NOT work for these batteries - they will be damaged in shipping.

Obviously, returning the old battery will not be cost effective, so an additional expense for the battery core would have to be added to the price.

Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Where are you located?
I'm in Switzerland. There are only very few cars here, maybe 50 max. and about 100 in Germany.

Due to the weight, transport has to be with FedEx or so I think. Or: Can the battery been split in two parcels? Customs is not a big problem for me.

If you could give me an idea of what it will be it would help me very much as there are two Insights for sale at the moment, one from a reputable dealer who changed the battery and warranties the car for 12 months and one of a more or less private seller where I believe he didn't change it so far.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4 Posts
Does anyone know what happens when the battery dies? How much does it cost to replace? I plan to keep my car for a very long time if I do buy one, so I would need to know what I have to plan for. The auto shops I've been give me an auto repair costs from$4500 to $5000 every 5 years for a new battery! Does this sounds fine?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know what happens when the battery dies? How much does it cost to replace? I plan to keep my car for a very long time if I do buy one, so I would need to know what I have to plan for. The auto shops I've been give me an auto repair costs from$4500 to $5000 every 5 years for a new battery! Does this sounds fine?
I only charge a third of that.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Obviously, returning the old battery will not be cost effective, so an additional expense for the battery core would have to be added to the price.
Would shipping just our battery sticks to you with you returning just good sticks be cost-effective? How much do just the battery sticks weigh? Would someone with the skills necessary to remove the battery from the car safely be able to remove the sticks safely?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Art wrote - "Would shipping just our battery sticks to you with you returning just good sticks be cost-effective? How much do just the battery sticks weigh? Would someone with the skills necessary to remove the battery from the car safely be able to remove the sticks safely?"

I've sent my Bat Pack twice to Ron, both times in a wooden crate that I made (easy for me I work wood). First time was fine, 2nd time it arrived with the ears and other parts of the Battery case broken enough so that Ron replaced it. Obvisouly UPS had DROPPED it HARD. My understanding is that the case weights about 10 lbs, not much.

So I would think that if you have the tech skill to remove the battery sticks and pack them safely it might save enough $$ to make it worth while cause of the decreased weight and volume. But that also means there is more handling on Ron's end since the battery sticks are not in one package.

What do you think Ron?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts