Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my ‘02 Insight in January, I was poking around looking for other owners in La Crosse, WI with grid chargers, thinking I could borrow one. A former Insight owner suggested that I contact the local tech college about their hybrid maintenance course.

I emailed the hybrid class teacher at Western Tech yesterday. By mid afternoon he’d called me back, full of enthusiasm. Yes, they’d love to do a free charge/discharge cycle on my Insight for class training in July. They’ll even go through the pack checking for bad sticks. Whoo!

He was quite knowledgeable about 1g Insights. They are always looking for guinea pig cars. Checking your local tech college might be a good option for others to consider.

I’m waiting for Ol Rowdy’s updated grid charger schematics to build my own, but this is a nice interim option.

- Park

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You need the harness installed on your car in order to use it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Here's some info and a slight rant...
A harness may not be needed. Some of the tech colleges own very expensive hybrid battery charging/discharging equipment. A previous private company that was promoting their hybrid battery product got their equipment into quite a few colleges. So after spending tens of thousands of dollars they need to justify the expense.

The down side of tech colleges doing this service for free is that they are unfairly competing against businesses that provide this service for a fee.

Pretty hard for my business to better than free.

Sucks that my tax dollars go to directly competing against myself.

Other than that :) .... glad to hear you are sorting out your pack. Good to keep these cars on the road!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some info and a slight rant...
Other than that
.... glad to hear you are sorting out your pack. Good to keep these cars on the road!
That’s a very reasonable rant, Eric.

I like to be a DIY’er when I can, especially on a $500 driver. Right now I’m waiting for schematics to build my own charger.

When I get to something out of my league (doesn’t take much), then it will be worth it to make the five hour round trip to Madison and drop off my car with you. And I’ll be very grateful for you then!

In the meantime, I’ll have to stop by and say “hi” the next time I’m in Mad-town. Was hoping to do it during our summer conference in June, but they moved us to Green Bay. Dang it.

Blessings,

Park

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I really feel like building a grid charger is a waste of time when you can just purchase one for not a ton of money. When you sell the car (if) you can always sell the grid charger on ebay to recoup money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts