Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Insight
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that a number of the threads on this subject are older now, and I'm wondering if anyone has any new suggestions for good but basic reconditioning chargers for the 2001 Insight sticks.

I'm having a difficult time finding the Super Brain 989 for sale at a reasonable price. Similarly, the Power Lab 8 is quite expensive, and probably has more features than I need. I'm wondering whether over the last few years some newer chargers with the necessary features have become available.

Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
12,784 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother at the stick level unless you want them for something other than a car.

Matching sticks for a pack that will work reliably long term in the car is akin to voodoo and black magic!
Ok not quite, but you do need skills, equipment and lots of time. The results are also not guaranteed.

If a pack does not respond to full pack cycling/ deep discharging, and it is not an obvious bad cell then for your sanity's sake forget it is my advice.

Just replace them all with a new warrantied set or upgrade to lithium. ;)

·
Registered
2001 Insight
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot!
I have not done a deep discharging on it yet, so I'll certainly try that first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
deep discharge using lightbulb method and any decent charger box is all you need (the 200$ maxx volt one is great ) ....recovered my battery easily this way...no need for top of line...I do the full method once or twice a year.

·
Registered
2001 Insight
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Tiers!

I'm working on connecting the discharger that I've made, and I'm trying to determine the harness pins, and whether it's ready to discharge.

I have a 4-pin harness (which works with my Maxx Volt grid charger). I presume that I should test the harness with a multimeter to distinguish the fan lines from the main +/- lines?

·
Registered
2001 Insight
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As I test the harness, I'm getting very low voltage between what looks like the correct pins (labeled 1 and 4 on the harness plug). I found these on the + line, are they the diodes, and should I remove them?

I understand the diodes are a good safety measure for the harness and grid charger, so is there a more ideal way to set it up for discharging?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
^ IF you generally feel like you know what you're doing - and or only asking noob questions for the hell of it (like this one: "I presume that I should test the harness with a multimeter to distinguish the fan lines from the main +/- lines?" - that's a real nutter) - then yeah, that's likely a protection diode and you'd need to remove it to do a discharge using the same harness that you use for charging.

You should probably move it to inside the charger itself. The harness won't be protected, but the charger will be.

Oh yeah, just remember, be careful poking around, make sure you have the pack switch OFF when you're working in the area.

Another 'oh yeah': Doing full pack discharges is far from ideal, you can mess stuff up pretty easily. If you have to do it, use as low a wattage bulb as you can find. You can use normal bulbs above about 150V, but below that I'd drop the wattage. With unknown condition/balance packs, you can easily have a cell that's near empty already, while others are near full. When you go to do your discharge, that cell will endure a reversal as long as the discharge lasts, which can genuinely kill it. Once you get your pack going and working, you can ease-up a bit. But, on your maiden voyages you really need to be cautious with the discharge, make sure you do a full grid charge first, etc.

·
Registered
2001 Insight
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks eq1. Sorry about the noob questions.
I'll be sure the battery is off, remove the red line and splice in before the diodes with a separate cord, ending in a female plug for safety. I'll start off with a low wattage bulb, and then test the taps, as the pack is currently not balanced

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
^ Noob questions are fine - I just don't want you ruining anything or hurting yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts