Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery on my 2000 Insight- 90k- never loses more than 2 bars from full charge. Assist is VERY limited- 30 seconds at best. Is this a bad battery, controller, or? This must have been addressed before, but I cannot find the thread.
John F.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The battery on my 2000 Insight- 90k- never loses more than 2 bars from full charge. Assist is VERY limited- 30 seconds at best. Is this a bad battery, controller, or? This must have been addressed before, but I cannot find the thread.
John F.
Reset your IMA system to get the gauge to show normal ranges, then we'll see how bad the battery actually is. You should get at least a minute of assist from full.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hi,

I'm having trouble with mine as well in the extreme cold we've had lately.

Over the last two weeks, the battery has been acting kind of peculiar:

1) The SOC showed 19 bars, which it rarely does when warmer
2) Within several days, the SOC dropped almost to zero, then slowly came back up to 19. This happened twice within several days.
3) Can't seem to get much assist, even after using the battery over the 30 miles to work, which should warm the cells at bit.
4) Trickle balanced the pack this weekend, which was at 160 volts, but still does not give much assist
5) After giving assist, it does not try to force regen, which means the battery capacity is still good.
6) The SOC does not drop much after giving assist.
7) If it tried to regen all the time, I would think the battery capacity is nil due to some bad cells.

I almost think the cold temperature is the culprit. Everything is working normally except for the lack of assist and BCM relearns.

Jim.

·
Registered
946 Posts
When it is cold, the assist and charge is limited. Also, the BCM always charge the battery on a steady drive to warmup the pack.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
... Also, the BCM always charge the battery on a steady drive to warmup the pack....
Hi Mike,

I typically use the IMA disable by Calpod, to limit the amount of back ground charging for better fuel mileage.

If the SOC gets low on a long drive, I either try to regen more, or turn off the disable switch to allow more background charging.

Jim.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Limited Assist

John F.
When the Car is in Assist, how many bars are lit on the Assist gauge?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For 2 seconds the assist bar is full, then quickly goes down to 3 or 4 bars, then none. If I let off the gas and reaccellerate, it will assist for 2 or 3 more seconds. No Assist available if 2 bars are missing from the battery charge bar. The battery will not go below 2 bars from full. How do I reset the IMA?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,681 Posts
The "easiest" way to reset the IMA is to:
Wth the engine off, disconnect the 12V battery "ground" wire for at least 10 sec. Reconnect the ground, start the engine and let it "idle" till the IMA battery gauge shows full. You can entertain yourself by sitting in the drivers seat and seeing what happens. (Much debate on the procedure)

Willie

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just started having a similar problem tonight

Driving home from work, I lost assist, but regen continued to work. When I pulled off at the exit auto stop and auto start worked correctly. My Battery state showed that it was full. I then drove with no assist and a full battery until I reached my destination. When I returned to my car and started it again, all was back to normal for about 1 mile, then I lost assist again. At a stoplight further down the road, I thought I would do an experiment, I turned the key to the off position, and then back on. Assist was again temporarily restored. I did this several more times on my way home, with the same results. It seems like something must be outta whack. Perhaps the electric motor is overheating?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Driving home from work, I lost assist, but regen continued to work. When I pulled off at the exit auto stop and auto start worked correctly. My Battery state showed that it was full. I then drove with no assist and a full battery until I reached my destination. When I returned to my car and started it again, all was back to normal for about 1 mile, then I lost assist again. At a stoplight further down the road, I thought I would do an experiment, I turned the key to the off position, and then back on. Assist was again temporarily restored. I did this several more times on my way home, with the same results. It seems like something must be outta whack. Perhaps the electric motor is overheating?
If the IPU was overheating it would throw an IMA light.

I suggest you reset your IMA system as well to see if it clears this up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
IMA reset did not work. Some other clues that may or may not be related are that I had a check engine light a couple of weeks ago that stayed on until the next fill up, I thought that it was just a loose gas cap. My loss of assist started yesterday after I filled up on a new tank of gas. I have no check engine light. I found another thread where a gentleman from canada was having similar symptoms, and it was ultimately resolved with a LAF sensor. I need to do more research before I try that.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
IMA reset did not work. Some other clues that may or may not be related are that I had a check engine light a couple of weeks ago that stayed on until the next fill up, I thought that it was just a loose gas cap. My loss of assist started yesterday after I filled up on a new tank of gas. I have no check engine light. I found another thread where a gentleman from canada was having similar symptoms, and it was ultimately resolved with a LAF sensor. I need to do more research before I try that.
Not all error codes light the CEL or IMA. You need to scan your car to see what the car thinks is wrong. Is there an Autozone near you? You can use their tester for free (except in California).

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I had it code scanned, and they came up with a PO171 system too lean. They said it might be an oxygen sensor. Afterwards, on my way home from the Advanced Autoparts, my check engine light finally came on.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
So I had it code scanned, and they came up with a PO171 system too lean. They said it might be an oxygen sensor. Afterwards, on my way home from the Advanced Autoparts, my check engine light finally came on.
The diagnostic tests say to check your fuel pressure first to see if it is too low or high. Otherwise the culprit is the LAF sensor or the evap canister or the injectors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So, I checked the fuel pressure (had to fabricate a 12mm coupler nut), and the fuel pressure was within the specified range both with the vacuum hose disconnected and connected. I guess this eliminates the fuel pump, pressure regulator, and filter from the list of suspects. My next test is to find a scan tool with which I can measure the A/F sensor voltage. Then It may be the fuel injectors or the evap purge valve, or valve clearances, or A/F sensor of course.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think I may have fixed the problem. Yesterday, I had to fill up my tank with fuel because with the loss of IMA, I was only getting 43-45 mpg. I decided to switch gas station brands of gasoline from the cheapest to one slightly more expensive, and out of the way. I drove home, and the next drive I took, I noticed that I had full IMA again. Then again this morning, I had it for a little while, but thought I lost it, so I turned off the engine and restarted it at the next stoplight. I then had full IMA for the rest of the drive to work. My MPG back up to 60. I still have the check engine light on though, and it will be interesting if it turns off after a few more drives. I may just have been a bad tank of gas that caused the loss of the electric motor assist?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts