Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Haven't posted for a while, but was following these discussions. Here's what happened to me.

Sent in the application for the stickers first day. Before special transponder rules were posted. Attached a copy of my regular transponder account, printed off bayareafastrak.org web page.

I was very interested in this because I thought it meant no toll at bridges. And since I go over the Dumbarton bridge to work almost every day, the saving would be significant. Like $60 a month.

Stickers arrived but not so thrilled after finding out the HOV lanes are getting transponder readers and toll will be collected.

Just to be legal, I went one saturday to the Fastrak office and got a hybrid transponder. They also let me keep my existing one, for use in the other car. No hassle, no charge, quite amazing.

Here's the good part.

I still was reluctant to put on the stickers. In fact I went through the fastrak lane one day on the bridge and the hybrid transponder worked fine. (beeped). Then I did it. Put on the stickers, those in the rear of the car on the black plastic, front bumper on the paint.

I noticed the next day as I went through the HOV lane at the bridge toll, no beep. No big deal, that sometimes happens on the regular fastrak lanes too. Then it happened the next day too, and the next, no beep. As I went through the next morning, I looked up and noticed the things mounted above the lane looked a lot different than the other lanes. In fact, it looked to be nothing more than some framework with no antenna for reading the transponder. I'm sure there's no lights and camera, after all they can't take pictures of every car in the HOV lane to look for hybrids whose transponder didn't read.

What can I say but: Whoo Hoo! Anyone else having similar experience?

'01 #191

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sure there's no lights and camera, after all they can't take pictures of every car in the HOV lane to look for hybrids whose transponder didn't read.
Down here in Southern California they do take pictures of the license plate every car that doesn't register, hybrid or not. If the plate has a registered account with fastrak, they just charge the regular fee (assuming that perhaps the transponder was broken or something like that), if not, they send a hefty fine.

If the HOV lane doesn't have the cameras etc. like the others, maybe they're just collecting statistical data rather than charging a toll, at least so far.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transponder reading in HOV lane

On the Dumbarton bridge, all the toll lanes can be used for Fastrak'ers. (rwo are dedicated Fastrak only) These lanes all have transponder readers and cameras. When the transponder read fails, the camera takes a picture of the back license plate. You get a notice in the mail. It's no big deal, just enter your Fastrak account number (or open a Fastrak account) and there's no penalty, just the $3 toll.

The HOV lane carries lots of actual car pooler's (two or more occupants) and the occasional hybrid. There is no camera mounted. And anyway what use would it be since the camera cannot distinguish between a real car pool and a hybrid whose transponder didn't read?

Since mine isn't reading (at least so far), and no picture is being taken, it's a free ride.

'01 #191

·
Registered
237 Posts
Down here in Southern California they do take pictures of the license plate every car that doesn't register, hybrid or not. If the plate has a registered account with fastrak, they just charge the regular fee (assuming that perhaps the transponder was broken or something like that), if not, they send a hefty fine.
That is exactly true except on the 91 Express Lanes. As an approved Hybrid, with the stickers, you can use the 3+ lanes, which is FREE except during peak times (Weekdays 4pm to 6pm) which are 50% off. I'm saving like $90 per month. Best $8 I ever spent! :D

G

·
0 Posts
But will the stickers hurt the paint on my Insight?

I'm thrilled to cut 10-15 minutes off my Northbay commute eaach way every day ( and a lo t more on Fridays!), but I can't get over how huge and ugly the stickers are. To have to put them all over the car... yuck.

Will they damage the paint should I ever want to remove them? :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am so excited as I received my stickers on Friday. I have seen pictures of them on Insights and I have seen several while driving, but holding them in my hand I am almost hesitant to put them on the car. They are bigger and uglier in person.

I live near Milpitas and work in Burlingame. It is within a mile difference in distance if I take the Dumbarton bridge, San Mateo bridge or 237. I often go 237 so I can miss the toll.

As for the Dumbarton bridge I noticed twice in the last few weeks that the transponder did not register when I passed in the normal Fastrac lane. I don't know if I was too close to the car in front of me or what happened. I still have yet to receive a ticket in the mail. I found it interesting that it also didn't register with you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: But will the stickers hurt the paint on my Insight?

Sharon Venzke said:
I'm thrilled to cut 10-15 minutes off my Northbay commute eaach way every day ( and a lo t more on Fridays!), but I can't get over how huge and ugly the stickers are. To have to put them all over the car... yuck.

Will they damage the paint should I ever want to remove them? :(
Where do you commute? I do Petaluma to San Rafael and the commute lane is generally as packed as the other lanes. The evening commute north is generally not bad but the HOV lane does help a lot when the other lanes drop under 40. (Have to love Fridays :))

As jgessling did, I put the rear ones on the black area and the front on the paint. The sides I put behind the fender skirts just in case I ever lost one or something. A hair dryer should work to remove the stickers without damage. I figured that on the rear if they damaged the black area I could get it painted for a lot less than the body of the car. Although I did see a silver Insight with the stickers on the paint and they don't stand out as much.

I haven't really tested the bridges yet but I don't cross them during commute hours. My last trip over the Richmond Bridge did show the usual "valid etc" when I went thru, I assume it charged the account (Work account so I don't monitor the charges)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts