1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would add this:

BCM part # 1K100-PHM-010

Appears to be original for the 2000MT Insight
Allows key on 2 minute soc reset if battery is at 168 volts or greater
Uses a default range of 25% - 75%* as displayed via BCM display

BCM part # 1K100-PHM-A01

Appears to be a replacement for the Insight 2000-?
Allows key on 2 minute soc reset (verified @ 174 volts)
Also seems to go through a testing sequence where current load is ramped up and down in steps to determine if battery is a charged soc level. (ie. 3amps -> 4.5 amps - > 6 amps, etc.)
Uses a default range of 20% - 80%* as displayed via BCM display

*rounded to the nearest whole number

Once I get my batteries back to operational condition I want to see if the extra 5% for upper and lower mean anything.

·
6,918 Posts
I've been thinking it would be nice to start a BCM Database.

I'm using BCM 1K100-PHM-030 with all the data logging and stuff. It has a maximum of 82.0% and a minimum of around 23%, using MIMA.

I have what I believe to be an original 2000 BCM in Insight #3. I can't remember the part number off hand, but I'll update this post with it. I've noticed that it recals much differently than the '01 BCMs I'm used to.

I plan on getting the serial transceiver installed into it to start logging data with it too.

I also have a 1K100-PHM-A01, which was a replacement BCM from my pack being replaced under warranty that I will eventually get wired up to log data from also.

So with the 1K100-PHM-010 BCM, you really only see 75% BCM SoC max? That seems really odd to me, especially considering later BCMs are supposed to prevent the battery from overcharging.

It would be interesting to get a definitive list of differences.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The max and min values I'm quoting are what the BCM display reads when a positive or negative recal occurs. With the 010 model I have seen as high as 99.9% and a low of ~18%.

·
6,918 Posts
I'm using Peter's standard code with no Xtra SoC or anything.

I guess I should clarify - I've seen 100.0% when grid charging with the 1K100-PHM-030 BCM, but the car by itself maxes out at 82.0%.

If you force regen, at 81.9% it will only be pushing about +0.5A in. The moment it hits 82.0%, the regen goes away and it will start pulling current from the battery instead, even with the joystick on full regen. Similar to how when you're milking assist with MIMA, the assist will suddenly turn to regen once the floor is reached.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
If you force regen, at 81.9% it will only be pushing about +0.5A in. The moment it hits 82.0%, the regen goes away and it will start pulling current from the battery instead, even with the joystick on full regen. Similar to how when you're milking assist with MIMA, the assist will suddenly turn to regen once the floor is reached.

I have the 1K100-PHM-010 in mine, and it behaves the same way Eli.

In mine the hidden background charge starts at 65% but only charges
up to 70%.

·
Registered
821 Posts
BCM & USA class action

The USA class action, was that a problem with the BCM leading to overcharge of the pack leading to premature failure?

I am correct that packs and BCMs were replaced at Hondas expense?

Looking at the advanced diagnostics documentation, for newer cars, an OBD2 error code for "BCM software not loaded" is in the list, but not for early builds. So perhaps BCM is flashable for code in late build but not flash loaded for early models

·
Registered
821 Posts
BCM part

1K100-PHM-A00 is a BCM from a very early 2000 M/T RHD car sold in UK, vin 0009 where does this one fit into the revision scheme please?
It is unknown is the BCM was ever replaced at any stage.

Getting confused here, MCM is marked MT is it not? THe connector by the label, connector E from W/S manual is 8 way.

·
6,918 Posts
1K100-PHM-A00 is a BCM from a very early 2000 M/T RHD car sold in UK, vin 0009 where does this one fit into the revision scheme please?
It is unknown is the BCM was ever replaced at any stage
Sounds very early.

How much do you want for it? lol

·
Registered
821 Posts
BCM,MCM part numbers UK RHD M/T

It is unknown is the BCM was ever replaced at any stage.

Getting confused here, MCM is marked MT is it not? THe connector by the label, connector E from W/S manual is 8 way.
THe definitive statement:

The MCM is marked 1K000-PHM-030, MT, 5 connectors, connector E near label, is 8 way.
The BCM is marked 1K100-PHM-A00, 3 connectors, connector C near label, is 20 way.

Car is 2000, RHD, UK spec, vin 0009

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Title Edited

I have edited this thread title to encompass the BCM,MCM & ECM

By current stock of spare modules (not in my three cars) comprises

MCM MT 1K000-PHM-030
MCM MT 1K000-PHM-030
MCM MT 1K000-PHM-040
MCM CV 1K000-PHM-904 (CVT?)

BCM 1K100-PHM-010
BCM 1K100-PHM-010
BCM 1K100-PHM-010
BCM 1K100-PHM-A01

ECM MT 37820-PHM-G02
ECM TD 37820-PHM-345SP

I've no idea about dates or exact vehicles they are from.
I shall add the numbers from the in car modules in due course.

The ideal thing to do is start an open Google spreadsheet for the revisons, then we can add data to the columns for parameters like min/max soc and hidden charge levels range etc etc etc as we accumulate more data.
It's much easier to find that sort of data if it is gathered in one place.
Someone else can set one up. They can copy and edit my OBDIIC&C one for instance as an example.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Malcolm I meant someone could start a new spreadsheet for this data, it doesn't really fit on the OBDIIC&C gauge parts list.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
When my Insight was frequently refusing to restart automatically from autostop, Honda did the following in April, 2005:

"IMA Motor Power Inverter Module - Replace
06060-PHM-305RM 6998660-06999 Kit, Motor ECU
1K100-PHM-A01 7687452-1K999 Control Unit
IMA Battery Electronic Control Unit - Replace

Car won't auto start but will auto stop. Check for DTC. No DTC present. Called tech line. Performed IMA battery test w/5th gear. Battery OK. Instructed to replace BCM and MCM modules per tech line. Replaced BCM and MCM."

I recognize the BCM part number, 1K100-PHM-A01, but I don't see a MCM part number.

Is an "IMA Motor Power Inverter Module" what we would call the DC-DC converter whose part number is 06060-PHM-305RM?

My BCM and MCM were replaced a second time in July, 2006, during the "product update" that Honda issued:

"Cause: Recall
Replace the Battery Condition Monitor (BCM) and Motor Control Monitor (MCM). S/B# 06-026
06060-PHM-307 8317562-06999 Kit, Motor ECU"

Service Bulletin 06-026 authorizes the replacement of the BCM and MCM in 2000-2004 MT Insights and the BCM in 2001 CVT Insights in hot weather states including Hawaiʻi. It states that the 06060-PHM-307 kit includes MCM 1K000-PHM-070 and BCM 1K100-PHM-A01 (I wonder whether Honda really replaced my existing 1K100-PHM-A01 BCM with an identical BCM :)

When my second IMA battery pack was replaced under warranty in May, 2009, neither my BCM nor my MCM was replaced. I assume that this was because BCM 1K100-PHM-A01 and MCM 1K000-PHM-070 were current at that time. Are these the final BCM and MCM versions?

·
6,918 Posts
No, the DC-DC will have a different part number, I think. Unless they're not available separate? The Motor Power Inverter is what we call the MDM(Motor Drive Module) - it changes the 3 phase AC that the IMA motor uses into DC during regen, or DC to 3 phase AC during assist.

Maybe the 06060-PHM-305RM part number is for both MCM and BCM units together? Don't know why the BCM would be listed separate in the first invoice then, though.. Strange.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Note the spreadsheet for this now contains separate sheets for the other IMA cars inc I1, I2 & HCH1 & 2. Please add your vehicle module details it's important.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Software Version Numbers

Note the module spreadsheet now contains columns for the software version numbers if available. Those with the Honda HDS/HIM or V0.04 onwards of the OBDIIC&C software will be able to interogate their car to find out the internal software version numbers for each module. Please add them to the Spreadsheet if you have this capability or information. It may help us to identify quirks that are not obvious when the external parts numbers match other versions. Also the later ECM's were software upgradable so the external part number may have little bearing on the internal running software. Thanks Peter

·
Registered
272 Posts
No, the DC-DC will have a different part number, I think. Unless they're not available separate? The Motor Power Inverter is what we call the MDM(Motor Drive Module) - it changes the 3 phase AC that the IMA motor uses into DC during regen, or DC to 3 phase AC during assist.

Maybe the 06060-PHM-305RM part number is for both MCM and BCM units together? Don't know why the BCM would be listed separate in the first invoice then, though.. Strange.
Does there exist (or could someone build) a functional diagram of the major parts (ECM, MDM/MPI, BCM, MCM, battery(s), DC-DC converters, etc.) and their interconnections/switching that would show "functionally" how the whole car works, including charging, assisting, regening, etc. etc? Wouldn't that go a long way to helping forum users (who are not electronics/electrical engineers) understand the various thread discussions and problems and/or modifications? Maybe starting at some high level and then depending on the technique used, sub-level functional diagrams could be added by forum contributors as interest in the funtional details evolved.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I have the following in my first Insight.
BCM 1K100-PHM-A01
MCM 1K000-PHM-305

Apparently all newer stuff and was replaced long after the battery was replaced under warranty when the car was very new with low miles because the first owner had parked the car for a very long time after they went off to college. The modules were replaced from the letter that went out suggesting to replace them to allow for longer battery life.
FYI there is a reference to the MCM 06060-PHM-305RM on this forum from 2004 that said that this was a typo for the 1K000-PHM-305.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Added my 2c to the list. I reply to this, even though it's an older post because it is still ranked high on Google.

Has anyone tried using an older BCM (A00) with the newer MCM (070) and did it work? Do they "mix and match"?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
About this Discussion
69 Replies
20 Participants
eq1
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing