Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then. In response to stingy assistance from the IMA, I tried the BCM reset. At first I pulled the IMA fuse, because apparently I misread it or something. That made sense, as perhaps pulling the fuse would make the BCM lose track of the charge and force a recal. So I tried that. It didn't work.

A while later I came here and looked again. Apparently, I was supposed to pull the EPS fuse, and rev the engine for a while to charge the battery. So, I've done that. I haven't driven it yet to see if it worked, but anyway...

Why the EPS fuse? How does disabling the power steering affect the IMA or affect the forced charging?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I have done many manual charges. All but 2 without pulling the EPS fuse. They all resulted in the EPS light comming On and EPS going Off

I suppose that while the IMA charge is On, the voltage can go higher than expected for the EPS. Then it disabled itself to prevent damage. After driving a few feet, the EPS comes back On.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
EPS fuse

The EPS will throww an error code if no motion is sensed on the wheels and engine RPM is above a certain number for a long time. It basically thinks "this can't be right" and generates the error.

I think the instructions just tell the mechanic to pull the fuse, so he won't later charge the customer for time spent troubleshooting the EPS...

But as Yves points out, the error goes away by itself. So if you are working on your own car and you are aware of this, there is no need to pull the fuse.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah but...

If you do pull the fuse every time and then the indicator light does go off, you know it's not this false error. :wink:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have done many manual charges. All but 2 without pulling the EPS fuse. They all resulted in the EPS light comming On and EPS going Off

I suppose that while the IMA charge is On, the voltage can go higher than expected for the EPS. Then it disabled itself to prevent damage. After driving a few feet, the EPS comes back On.
Exactly what happened when doing my first manual recharge on my 2000 gen 1 insight #'800225 today trying for 20/20 bars. Engine was reved about 3300rpm for about two or three minutes trying for that last bar. Made 18>19/20 only when the Light went on.
[?! Thought i broke something with no clue what EPS was, my head swimming with all the new acronyms to remember.]

Searched the owners manual, nothing to see, searched here, yay. THANKS! Results confirmed as said in a vehicle length. EPS: Light's Out! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts