Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an oversized (24") beam wiper blade for the rear of my G1. The 24" blade fits on the rear, without problem, but the issue is that the wiper blade does not touch the glass in the middle of the blade in order to clean it. I'm guessing that if I had purchased the originally specified size, that the wiper blade would make full contact. Still, do I have any options for fixing this? I've looked online (not this forum) and found one person suggesting:

If you have a steel windshield wiper arm and the wiper is experiencing little contact with the windshield, just bend the windshield arm about 4 inches away from the link tip (to assure you don't mess up the connector). Bend it about 2 to 3 degrees (not too much) and that's it.

Has anyone else had my problem? If so, how did you fix it? Has anybody tried bending the wiper arm? I'm not sure if the rear wiper arm is even steel, or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Kind of depends on what your wiper blade is like. Seems like a lot of the 'beam' blades are plastic and rubber only. The only way to bend those and have the shape stick is if you heat the plastic, like with a heat gun, and then gently bend to a curve that will make contact where it needs to. On the other hand, some beam blades I think have a metal rib that can be bent to shape. I think that's what I got on the front - and I have issues at the very end of the wiper stroke, at the bottom lower corner on the passenger side. I've tried to bend that - and I can and the shape sticks - but I never got the curve just right, it's either curved enough that it can wipe that corner, but then it's too curved and misses a section mid-stroke... I just left it alone, sort of halfway doing the job...

Anyway, take a look at your blade and see if it has a metal rib. If so it'd be easy to bend and get the shape to stick. I'd think it'd be pretty easy to get the right curve on the rear window, it's pretty flat across the wiper stroke... If it's just plastic and rubber you'd probably have to try the heat gun thing...

Another issue might be that the longer blade isn't centered properly on the arm - so there might be too much blade below where the blade attaches to the arm. That can interfere with how the blade makes its swipe... I think you can sometimes shift the attachment point on the wiper blade by sliding the plastic connector thing - or something like that. Or, you could trim it... Often there's also small metal clips in a few places along the blade, that I think hold the rubber to the plastic. Sliding those into different positions can change the articulation and curve of the blade, shift the rigidity of the blade from one area to another...

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I took a quick look at my front and rear wiper blades. The front that I thought had a metal rib doesn't - it's just plastic and rubber. So when I bent that at the end I must've used a heat gun.

The rear? 24 inches is pretty long. It looks like it's possible that the half of the blade below the attachment point could be so long it interferes with the stroke. So you might be able to trim that down a little, possibly trim and slide a metal clip upward. Your problem most likely is that the ends curve too much and/or are too long, so the blade gets raised in the middle and doesn't contact the window with enough force. You'd want to trim, slide metal clips, or heat and try to flatten the curvature of the blade...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,487 Posts
Std. rear size, IIRR is 16". I got a 22" on mine with no problem.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
My guess is the spring in the arm isn't strong enough for such a long blade to keep it flat on the glass. How often do you actually use it that you felt you needed a longer one?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@atikovi is correct that the issue is that the spring in the arm isn't strong enough for such a long blade, and is unable to keep it flat on the glass. I suppose my original post wasn't written clearly enough. The quote I had included in the original post was a fix for this -- bending the angle of the wiper arm (not the blade). I haven't tried that, yet, though. I don't use the rear arm much. But when I do, I would prefer to have it wipe as much as possible. I think I may take Willie's advice, though, and just go down to a 22" blade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts