Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can buy a belly pan?
I saw on ecomodder how to make one. thats way out of my league.

2005 G1 115.000 Cvt 61 mpg

Jack

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
If you mean the panels under the car, there are 5 pieces and you can get them all from the dealer. Why would you want to "make" one?

·
Registered
762 Posts
no one sells them aftermarket. if you are referring to the lower shields up front you can buy them from honda for a pretty penny, but its way more economical to make one. no one makes a full belly pan for the insight, it has to be custom fabbed. I made one for the back out of coroplast, it was pretty easy and free.

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re

If you mean the panels under the car, there are 5 pieces and you can get them all from the dealer. Why would you want to "make" one?
I was not exactly sure what all got covered.
My goal is to reduced drag as much possible.

Thanks for the help good sir.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
Thank you for the nice comments.

This is the first one/prototype. The material on this one was given to me by a friend and is a little thick. The pattern is on a piece of hard board that was traced from a set of the original 3 pieces while fastened together.

I have a bead roller / flanger that I used to flange the edges and roll the beads in the center.

The next ones I make are going to be made out of 18 gauge aluminum (.040), which is about the thickness of the front aluminum original piece.

The idea was to make the panel one piece with out the center cut out.

I have new material to make more in the thickness listed above. Over the next week or so I will make the next ones and take a few more pictures of the process to post.

Scott

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Scott, I noticed you said you're gonna make 'several' more. You selling any?

Jack, I see you're looking for underpanels. I have read these can cost or add as much as 5 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
I probably will. I bought a whole sheet of material and had it sheared to the width. A 8' x 12' sheet yields 5 panels and some scrap to set up the bead roller.

I need two panels for two of my cars currently and have already had a few requests by PM.

I will post a few more pictures as I make these next 5.

Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
I created my own using this as a guide:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/20269-work-progress-diy-under-panel-3.html#post200184

Not the best pic, but my phone tried its best given the bad lighting.
My car was missing the under panels (I think the PO sold them) and I had some scrap .050 5050 aluminum sheets and some harbor freight pneumatic inline shears. 3 hours of careful tracing, cutting, and drilling later, I had my own solution which cost me nothing but my time since I already had the materials and tools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts