Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd ask . . .

In your opinion, which is the best car wax to use on these Insights?

And how soon after purchasing should the first waxing occur?

Fred

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fred said:
Just thought I'd ask . . .

In your opinion, which is the best car wax to use on these Insights?

And how soon after purchasing should the first waxing occur?

Fred
Pinnacle wax. Wax after 6 months of car's birthday. never let anyone uses a rotary buffer on it period.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I sure like the Mequiars nxt generation. I use the detail spray in between washes and my car still looks new and it's 6yrs old. It is outside almost all the time. Most people don't believe me that it's that old.
robert

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm going to quote this again. "Find something you like and use it often" (Mike Philips signature from Meguiarsonline.com).

If you want my personal opinion I have had excellent results with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. Just make sure you read the instructions because it is not applied like a conventional wax. You actually apply it and let it setup for 15 minutes or so before wiping it off. This actually works out quite well because you can apply it to the whole car then go over and wipe it off rather than doing it panel by panel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
poor boy's is definitely the best. it's not for the likes of those who like to buy what they see in pepboys, autozone, or what they see on commericials. it's for professionals.

for the comment saying never let someone touch it with a rotary buffer, find someone who knows what they're doing!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I

use none....i just keep it REAL clean....

it's aluminum....what?....is it gonna rust?

:twisted:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: I

While aluminum may not rust, it does carode.

I've seen dark blue Honda SUVs (which probably sat out in the sun a good bit) which have turned a purpleish blue - which is why I went with a silver vehicle; doesn't show the dirt as much either.

As for keeping it clean - of course. That goes without saying.

trunkout said:
use none....i just keep it REAL clean....

it's aluminum....what?....is it gonna rust?

:twisted:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wax serves a few functions
- Diminishes Ultra-violet light, and UV degrades paint
- Keeps it shiny
- But - it also attracts dirt.
Some body shops swear never use was, just polish.
Polish, of course, just takes off a surface layer of presumably UV / air -oxidized paint.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
masscommuter said:
- But - it also attracts dirt.
I don't know what your using, but Meguiar's NXT Tech wax creates an anti static barrier which actually repels dust. Living here in the desert we get our fair share of dust storms in the monsoon season and it makes a noticeable difference, especially at the back of the car where the air doesn't directly hit parts of the rear bumper cover.

Wax does make the car look shinier, which is great and all, but the most important thing it does is provide a sacraficial barrier against the environment the car is in. It will keep dirt from bonding to the paint, it provides some protection to things like acid rain (to a reasonable extent), bird dookie (if removed quickly)..... all those types of things. This in turn protects the top layers of the paint which contain the UV resistant materials which is something you don't want to loose.

Modern paints have come a long way, but occasional waxing goes a long way to ensure that it lasts as long as possible. Granted keeping it clean does go a long way.

You have to be careful buying "polishes" because they are not the same thing as a wax, or at least shouldn't be. A Polish will be something that should feed oils in to the paint to put back what is naturally lost over time. Most will also contain some type of very light abbrasive to help smooth out the surface some. You shouldn't have to worry about removing too much material with these because you shouldn't be able to do so by hand with a proper polish. A polish is used before a wax, and be careful because some companies sell "polish" which is really more like a wax or a combination of the two.

What you'd want to look out for is any sort of compound or heavy cleaner. Clear coat paints are not designed to be rubbed by hand so if you have any imperfection your trying to remove step away from the vehicle. It would need to be removed with a rotary buffer in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing with proper rotary application products, and even then it's likely a several step process.

I think I still have a few sample packets of the Meguiar's NXT tech wax if anyone wants one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Zaino is the shiznit. I'm certain that there are a few other products that are great too...I think its a matter of using a good multi-step product and applying it correctly. Even if you use something else, the Zaino site has a few great tips about scratches, swirl marks, cotton towels and the like.

On the attracting dust topic...On my Pathfinder when it was fairly new, I had a few applications of Zaino on it. I found a bird-bomb on the hood one morning, so I cleaned it up and re-did about a 8x10" patch with Zaino. In a couple of days, that patch was covered in dust, but no where else. I forgot to apply the last step. The "gloss enhancer' spritz bottle has anti-static properties in it and that does the trick.

I love that I can wash, dry and Zaino the entire Insight in about an hour!

Cap'n Ron. . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Zaino is best for shine, has good durability too-not outstanding-but very good. If you want the best looking car "wax" zaino is it. (It's not a wax). You put on many little coats, and it is for people who don't mind spending the time.
You can only order it online http://www.zainobros.com

Meguires NSX?? is also good. It is easier to put on and cheaper than Zaino. It covers scratches well too on dark color cars.

Any of the others should be good too.

With a car as small as Insight, cost of wax shouldn't be as big a factor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just washed my SUV yesterday after a long road trip. While I had the soapy bucket of water out, I figured I'd hit the Insight. 1/2 hour wash, squeegee, dry and a quick spritz with the "gloss enhancer" and it's good.

A LOT quicker than the SUV. : )

Cap'n Ron. . .

·
Registered
124 Posts
On my Alien green machine, i use Klasse All-In-One Polish and Klasse Sealant Glaze. I also top it with Pinnacle signature to bring it to a showroom shine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, does anyone remember Mothers?
When it comes time to wax my baby, a shiny red '06 Insight MT, I will be using Mothers.
As soon as it stops raining (thank God for rain at last) that is just what I will be doing :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
I start out with a 4-step process on a relatively new paint job.

1. Mother's clay bar.... follwed by

2. Meguiars Clearcoat Body Scrub....followed by

3. Zymol original (the light blue)... followed by

4. Mother's Reflections wax

The clay bar is a car detailers best friend! The paint surface will be super smooth after using the clay bar. I use the body scrub to remove anything that the clay bar may leave behind. I then use the Zymol blue by applying it and buffing it off per the instructions on the bottle. Then I use a spray bottle to apply a light misting of distilled water to the paint to set the ingredients in the Zymol and then buff it dry. Last is the application of the Mother's Reflections wax. You will be amazed at the show car results!

For maintenance I just use the Zymol and distilled water as long as I don't let the paint go to long between wax jobs.

I'm interested in trying the Meguiars NXT nanotech wax to see how I like it compared to the Mother's Reflections.

G

·
0 Posts
I actually used some Meguires Clay prior to waxing the other day, my god, you should see all the rubbish that it took of, the paint is super smooth now.

Finished off with Autogkym deep gloss, although I have headr really good things about Meguire polishes, so I'll try them next.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts