Honda Insight Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
New 2003 CVT

I bought a leftover 2003 CVT Insight 2 weeks ago. Love the car! My commute to work is 130mi 'round trip, and in just under 2000 miles, I've averaged 62.8 mpg. Some 2 lane, 30mi on Rt 80 (@ 70mph). Note: I actually get my best mpg traveling on Rt 80 ! Best mileage is the morning commute (by about 10%).
I've got close to 1,000,000 miles on my bones, so I was glad for the CVT.

I'm running 35psi front,33psi rear, as I like a little softer ride.

I will be doing my own maintenance & will probably go with Mobil 1 & 7500 mile changes.

One thing- Has anyone installed door window weatherguard drip moulding? I don't like the dripping water when windows are cracked open in rain. I thought I read somewhere that Civic weatherguard might work with some modifications!?
Thanks for listening, Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
62.8mpg @ 70mph? Wow. That seems quite exceptional. My CVT LMPG is currently 50.0. A long distance round trip with A/C on about half the time with probably a 70mph average only yielded (on average) 45mpg. Tire inflation is about 40psi.

I would be very interested in some kind of drip moulding or "gutter".
The light gray areas of my seats are contantly getting spotted up. All it takes is water drops on the roof and an open window.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
May I brag a bit to my fellow insighters?

On Wed., Dec. 10, 2003, I posted:
LMPG: 52.7: After almost 2 years of use, 15,000+ miles. Note: we drive this vehicle <6,000+ mi./year, but the above total includes a 1-week Rocky Mountains trip of +4,500 miles to break it in a few months after we got it...

...and we don't really drive for max mileage, or at least My Beloved doesn't, it's her car and I bought it for her because she thought it looked "coool." She drives it like it's a Civic, and that's just fine with me...

...but when I drive it, I normally get 62-67mpg tanks. Only mod: 50 psi at each corner
...and on Tue., May 18, 2004 I followed up with:

BULLETIN! STOP THE PRESSES! I checked my total mileage display this morning, since I thought I might be sneaking up on my second 10,000 mile segment for oil-change purposes. I'm at 18,707... so pretty soon...

BUT! BUT! BUT!

My LMPG has skyrocketed from 52.7 (where it has been "stuck" for months...) to...

53.5!

Don't know how or when it happened, but it's my high-water mark! (high-gas mark?). Oh, and gas here just hit $1.869/gallon of cheeepo gas.
Well today, at 21,150 miles... gas is $1.77 hereabouts... and I just rolled over to 54 LMPG! :eek:

(sfx: deafening applause)

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much. As the dyslexic award winner once said, I don't appreciate it, but I deserve it... :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love my Insight

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and just got myself a used 2001 Honda Insight CVT. It now has 88,000 miles and a LMPG of between 57 and 58. I just drove it from the North Carolina Outer Banks to just west of Asheville and got a MPG of 66.7 (500 miles). I drove at the speed limit.

To and from work is mountainous with 1/2 mile to 1 mile climbs. I've driven approx. 100 miles here on highway and get between 60 mpg and 61 mpg.

I am very surprised at how much power this little 3-cylinder gets on these hills! But I do have a question, what happens on a long mountain climb when the battery assist drains down to nothing? WIll I still have power? Does anyone else live in mountains?javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Thanks!
Jennifer

G

·
Hi Jennifer:

___Might I suggest that you not use the pack for climbing large hills or mountains? It (the pack) was truly meant to assist from a standing start or quick acceleration, not a long drawn out draining that a 60 + second or more assist will cause. The issue of “recals” can in some cases be traced to those driving in mountainous or hilly terrain in which they use the pack just like the ICE. Under performing 12V batteries and heat are not your packs best friend either but if you want to keep your Insight trouble free, might I suggest that you down shift your CVT and run the rev’s up instead? Your Insight will pay you back with that many more miles with a bit of TLC.

___As for your question, it will simply stop assisting at a very low SOC and will force charge which will drag our little beauties performance down somewhat until the SOC is back up a few bars. I have never ran my little beauty that low myself so my experiences are nill in that regard. Hopefully there will be much more educated replies being posted over the next few hours with real first hand experiences.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1job9g2f][email protected][/email:1job9g2f]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My lifetime doesn't seem to want to go higher than 47.7mpg for mostly city drving with my 2001 CVT. It have about 14,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks

So if I understand correctly, the "L" will not use the battery assist at all?
Note, I am used to driving manual transmissions around here, so this is new to me!

I can't imagine using "L" for the 4-lane hills around here, though. It doesn't seem to wear the battery down very much for them (I don't have to use much of an assit for these hills).

Can you explain when to use the "S" button?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Jennifer

·
Registered
66 Posts
The S Button

I have a couple of important uses for the S button:
1. When I want to show off at the start of the line from the green light.
2. When I need to pass in a hurry.

Otherwise, it's always D or L.

(2 edits, geesh, I can't spell today.)

G

·
Hi Jennifer:

___I don’t own a CVT so take this for what its worth. The S button just changes the shift points a small amount so as to rev the little beauty a bit higher before the next shift. You will have to tell us when Assist kicks in between the two modes but Assist will kick in with both if you put your foot into it. For mountain climbs, I would just let off the accelerator a small amount and climb using the ICE alone the best you can. As I mentioned above, recals appear to be a problem for those that climb hills and mountains using the pack on a more then normal basis instead of the ICE alone. I don’t use Assist if at all possible under any circumstance (it is tough keeping out of it when accelerating in second gear) and the fuel economy speaks for itself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1jbh2vg5][email protected][/email:1jbh2vg5]

·
Registered
30 Posts
recals

I admittedly don't have an owners manual yet (I just ordered it). So excuse me if I'm a bit uneducated here. But I don't understand these recals I keep hearing about. From what I understand, the car does this on its own (you don't have to do it). But how do you know this is happening? I haven't seen anything yet on my dash indicating a recal. Is it a dummy light that comes on??

I guess that I am using the assist as much as anyone in stop and go. I use it at the base of the hills mostly and maybe a couple times in the middle and towards the top. I don't have any traffic lights, so I don't have to stop at all. From what I can tell, I'm not putting any unneccessary drain on my battery pack on my drive to and from work. Again, it is almost all 4-lane at easy grades (5-7%). On the hills, I only use a couple of bars on my battery pack which is fully recovered on the downhill.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Reset or not to reset

figgy said:
I think if you get a used car, you don't need to feel bad about resetting it so that you see your lmpg not someone else's lmpg.

On the other hand, it can be fun to wear away at the old lmpg which likely is less than yours...
The LMPG on my Insight was low (37.9 if memory serves) but not surprising since I believe it was a fleet car. I've bumped it up to the mid-forties so far, although getting snared in city traffic and today's freak thunderstorm didn't help.

I've decided to take the "pick away at it" approach to improving the figure. Since I'm mostly short trips, it doesn't make much sense to me to reset it and then see what I can do with my 7-mile commute runs.

The mention about tire pressures confuses me. Right now I'm running 34 front and 38 rear as recommended in the manual (was delivered with waaay below that!!). I figure I should stay "stock" until I get used to the car and see how it handles on really wet roads (had Aquatreds before).

But 50 psi? The tires can handle it? No problems in standing water or with really bumpy freeway pavement?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts