Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It makes perfect sense that a car would use less fuel idling in park than in gear. Think about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Indeed. If you ever get stuck in the mountains because of a snowstorm you'd better idle in P to keep you warm and maximize your chances for rescue ;).
If you do that, make sure that you don't get the exhaust blocked. You can die from the CO entering the car if it cannot get away.

That's what a cell phone and emergency blanket are for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you do that, make sure that you don't get the exhaust blocked. You can die from the CO entering the car if it cannot get away.

That's what a cell phone and emergency blanket are for.
Of course my previous remark was a bit sarcastic, but you raise an interesting point.

A cell phone doesn't always work in those situations (or the battery dies trying to reach for help). And good luck with a blanket when it's -15C (first hand experience).
Idling in P was very nice I can tell you, especially when help is still an hour away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2m radio with me when it gets bad. I can find coverage most places, and can change batteries when necessary.

I agree, you can loose charge, be out of range, etc. with a cell. But it is still my first line. -15c, I would have more than a light blanket in my car anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point guys. In the single digits we had last winter in the warm climate I live in I dressed for the weather. I had 2 cell phones, some fluids and even an MRE.

I use to take the ferry at one time and had to idle on the dock waiting for it. I would start the engine, get the car freaking hot, then kill the engine and let it cool down and repeat. If its single digits or less and you are not moving I think leaving it on is a better option, just be mindful of the exhaust being blocked or feeling sleepy.

I swear I heard in the news a few years ago you couldnt kill youself with a prius by leaving it running in a garage as the exhaust is too clean.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I swear I heard in the news a few years ago you couldnt kill youself with a prius by leaving it running in a garage as the exhaust is too clean.
That's just because the engine will stay off nearly all the time, unless you'll put it in Neutral and keep pressing on the accelerator pedal! :)

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
That's just because the engine will stay off nearly all the time, unless you'll put it in Neutral and keep pressing on the accelerator pedal! :)
...or just turn on the a/c and it runs forever. I once was at a dealership and the dealer couldn't figure out why it was running, I knew but it was fun waiting for him to figure out why it wouldn't stop. He never figured it out, I showed him what happens when you turn off the air conditioning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
...or just turn on the a/c and it runs forever.
Depend on the delta of temperatures (set & ambient), and how aggressively it have to work. Usually the engine may stay on for a bit, then turn off while the electric A/C compressor start draining the battery. Then after some minutes it will restart, and so on.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I suppose, it could also have been a lower state of charge from sitting on the dealers lot at a price premium well over what I would consider even visiting the dealership or starting negotiations from if I even wanted to buy a second generation Prius, it was overpriced because it was the only Prius in the used lot. Probably waiting on a sucker to pay the unbelievable price.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the local toy dealer when I went shopping wanted 40 grand for a used prius with 30k miles on it with package 3. They werent interested in the tacoma for trade either. I went right next door and sat in the hybrid for everyone. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts