Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in with a little experiment that I did this last week.

I knew that I was going to be away from the Insight for about a week, and as I'm moving soon, I wanted to get a discharge cycle in before all my "stuff" get's boxed up. So, I ran to the local ACE Hardware and grabbed a couple 7 watt bulbs! I normally use 40 watt bulbs, but knew that they would work too quickly.

Anyway, long story short is that my battery (after an overnight grid charge) took 8 days to go from 170 volt range down to about 3 volts! I usually shoot for .5 volt, but as I was going to be needing the car, and since I figured it had stayed in a relatively low range for longer, I stopped the discharge there.

So... add 7 watt bulbs to your "arsenal" of discharging loads!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Was that your "resting" voltage an hour after discharging?

Willie
No, that was the voltage with the discharger still attached. When I removed it, it started bouncing back up. I waited a few minutes, but started charging pretty soon. I normally wait an hour, but this was more like 15 minutes. I WANT to say that it seemed to be bouncing back slower... but that's really a stretch for the minimal amount of checking I did and the relatively short time I waited to start charging. A missed data point...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts