Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Was that your "resting" voltage an hour after discharging?

Willie
No, that was the voltage with the discharger still attached. When I removed it, it started bouncing back up. I waited a few minutes, but started charging pretty soon. I normally wait an hour, but this was more like 15 minutes. I WANT to say that it seemed to be bouncing back slower... but that's really a stretch for the minimal amount of checking I did and the relatively short time I waited to start charging. A missed data point...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an article on my website that should help. It's in the "charger/discharger" article. The link to my website is in the signature lines below.

I show how to make a simple light bulb discharger etc. I also present a chart that shows the ma drain that various wattage light bulbs will draw as the battery voltage drops. This should give you a guide to selecting what wattage bulbs to use.

If your grid charging harness doesn't have diodes in it you connect the discharge load to the same wires that go to the IMA battery.

I have a Genesis grid charger from Mike D. Also his harness is installed. Is there a way to get the correct plug as well as utilize that? I read through your website, but didn't get to see the connection from the discharger to the battery pack.

·
Super Moderator
5,416 Posts
I have a Genesis grid charger from Mike D. Also his harness is installed. Is there a way to get the correct plug as well as utilize that? I read through your website, but didn't get to see the connection from the discharger to the battery pack.
The best plan would be to get the Genesis discharger from Hybrid Revolt. Then the charger's computer can control both the charge and discharge. It will plug into your existing harness, you will be able to program it to do what you want, and it will truly be plug and play.

Sam

·
Registered
99 Posts
The best plan would be to get the Genesis discharger from Hybrid Revolt. Then the charger's computer can control both the charge and discharge. It will plug into your existing harness, you will be able to program it to do what you want, and it will truly be plug and play.

Sam
Thanks for the info w Hybrid Revolt. I'm trying to condition my pack just before selling. So once I saw the $135 for the Discharger Addon, it really changed my thoughts. I need to get this done on the cheap.

I have an original Genesis 1. It's yellow and from the first run from Mike D. How could I tell if the High Voltage plug even would allow me to use it? Can I find out what the plug part number is? I wouldn't mind picking up a few to make my own extension cord/plug for a light.

·
Super Moderator
5,416 Posts
I don't know the answer. I just plug mine in and it works.

Search Mike's site to see if there is a pin out diagram for the plug? Find the plug at either a local electronics place or online? Install a separate harness for the discharger you will make out of a light bulb socket?

You ARE going to tell the new buyer that it will need a battery, right?

Sam

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have an original Genesis 1. It's yellow and from the first run from Mike D. How could I tell if the High Voltage plug even would allow me to use it? Can I find out what the plug part number is? I wouldn't mind picking up a few to make my own extension cord/plug for a light.
Since it's an early charger I would ask Mike these questions.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts