Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#IMA #Battery #Maintenance #Methods #Best #Condition #Plug&Play #C&C

Please forgive this post or question, but I believe there is merit to it and a point to be made. I did do a few hours of reading on here and still find it to be overwhelming with information even after searching.
I am considering buying a Bumblebee IMA battery and want to know after I buy it what I can and should do to keep it in the best condition. I am wanted if possible to purchase a Plug and Play IMA C&C when possible. Will having the Plug and Play help me keep the battery in a better condition?

I am wondering why we do not have more youtube videos that transcribe all the content on this site.
Thanks for the feedback. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
I grid charge my Bumblebee Battery about twice a year.

Great that you're going to make some videos for us!

Sam

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
....I am considering buying a Bumblebee IMA battery and want to know after I buy it what I can and should do to keep it in the best condition. I am wanted if possible to purchase a Plug and Play IMA C&C when possible. Will having the Plug and Play help me keep the battery in a better condition?
Probably best to do whatever Bumblebee tells you to do after you get the pack...

IMAC&C won't do anything for pack maintenance. FYI, I saw someone post a plug n play IMAC&C for sale I think yesterday, $500...

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
IIRR, ELI said "every 6 months for 10 hours."

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
272 Posts
So many separate threads on IMA battery conditioning. I picked this one...
I stored my Insight all Winter - and am now doing the three charge / discharge cycles per Hybrid Automotive. The car sat all winter. The voltage was at 163 when I first hooked up charger. (I thought it would be lower..) I’ve watched the time - and it seems to take a longer time frame to charge through the 160-170 voltage range. Then it slowly goes up to 180 volts - taking 30 hours. Seems like a long time to max out. When I did this conditioning last time, I thought the voltage maxed out lower at 174 V. The garage is still cold - around 40 F. Maybe that changes the max battery voltage.

Discharging also seems to take longer in the 160-170 voltage range. My pack is old - I believe replaced early in its life - around 2001-2002. My Insight was among the first sold in the US. Hopefully I can extend the pack life a bit more!! Thanks for reading. 😳

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
^ Sounds like you must have an OEM pack, which is good. But since the OP was talking about an aftermarket pack it's probably good to mention that, as far as I can tell, aftermarket cells have differences that don't play nicely with deep discharge. So, to anyone with an aftermarket pack, it's probably best not to do them... The 3 cycle charge/discharge regime, with 2nd and 3rd discharge cycles going down to low total voltages (like under 120V or so) will bring cells down to deep discharge voltages, most likely with some cells to very low voltages, including cell voltage reversals...

I’ve watched the time - and it seems to take a longer time frame to charge through the 160-170 voltage range....Discharging also seems to take longer in the 160-170 voltage range.
The type of reaction in NiMH cells causes flat charge and discharge curves, while the equilibrium voltage is about 1.32V per cell, so most of 'the action' will happen around that voltage (1.32V X 120 cells= 158.4V).

Then it slowly goes up to 180 volts - taking 30 hours. Seems like a long time to max out. When I did this conditioning last time, I thought the voltage maxed out lower at 174 V. The garage is still cold - around 40 F. Maybe that changes the max battery voltage.
If you were looking at a single cell while charging, the voltage would go up pretty fast toward the end of charge. If you have 120 cells that are at slightly different charge levels, some will peak and possibly fall, while others are still charging - so it can take longer for whole pack voltage to peak... 30 hours does seem like a long time, especially starting at 163V. But you're charging in cold and the pack has sat for a long time, and these can make charging inefficient, i.e. take longer than usual...

Colder temps will cause higher voltages (warmer lower), something like 0.32V per degree C.* So, for example, if you were charging at 20 degrees C (68F) instead of 4.4 degrees C (40F), you'd expect to see peak voltage to be about this much lower than the 180V you saw: (20C minus 4.4C) X 0.32V = -5V, so 175V instead of 180V. Voltages charging a pack that's sat for a while will also tend to be higher...

* Link to post that explains temp impact on voltage: The quintessential Insight NiMH voltage thread

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks eq1 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts