Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently pushed up my tire psi in the front to 44psi and fond that i'm averaging 77 mpg for this tank so far. :p

Usually i average between 64-68 mpg/tank

That, and driving a little slower on the freeway has brought me to a interesting challenge.
What is your best MPG per Tank Story or your best trip. I'm curious how many of you out there have been able to break 80mpg/tank or any other story.
I'm also curious, if you are a prius owner what kind of mileage you guys are getting. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
56 Posts
My best one tank average was 91.1, I have done that twice. I'm at 93.7 now, with only 550 miles on this tank. We have a trip to San Diego this weekend and I don't think I'll be able to keep that high mpg for another 400 miles on the open freeway with the hills and such. We'll see what happens.
My best trip was last October when I combined a buisness trip with a vacation. Twice a year I go to Oklahoma city for recurrent simulator training on the airplane I fly, so I drove that part alone. If I wasen't such a chicken I could have made it all the way with out filling up, but I didn't have any spare gas and it was late. My wife flew in a few days later and we went to Tennessee, then Chicago, then Texas, then back to Phoenix. 4800 miles, we averaged 79 mpg, and it cost us $88 for gas.
Louis

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well to make it fair, it would kind of need to be a round-trip average, to cancel out any effects of trips biased towards downhill driving. The best I've managed in my HX was 48.5mpg for a 216 mile somewhat highly contrived trip this past spring. Basically I was upset about the fact I always seem to get 34-35mpg in the city and no more than 40 on the highway, which is a couple MPG less than the car is rated at.

So, I went out and just drove about 60mph on the freeway for about 80 miles, got off on this exit for a road in the middle of nowhere and drove 45mph about another ~28 miles further out of town, then turned around and headed back. So about 56 miles at 45mph, and 160 miles at 60mph. Topped off the car at the same pump that I did several hours earlier when I started the trip using the same top-off method and it took just under 4.5 gallons.

In the end, it really proved nothing since I've never gotten near that gas mileage before or since then, but it was kind of nice knowing that at least in a highly controlled experiment, it's capable of turning in numbers that were better than 10% over the EPA rated highway mileage. For a while I seriously considered having an aero undertray made even and trying for 50mpg, but the idea of spending hundreds of dollars to try and save maybe $10/year in gas just didn't make much sense when I really got to thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
AZCivic - How about trading in your Civic for an Insight? MPG is obviously important to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Silver Streaker said:
AZCivic - How about trading in your Civic for an Insight? MPG is obviously important to you.
I've thought about it, but I don't think I drive enough miles per year to have it work out, in terms of total cost. It's good to see that technology from the Insight will make it's way in to other cars, like the Civic Hybrid now. It looks like eventually all cars will probably be hybrids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts