Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my first Generation 1 Insight.

Is there a link on the forum for tips and inspections for newbies looking at their first (and hopefully last) Gen1 Insight?

Thanks very much.

Paul

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
There's a stickied thread above titled 'G1 Buyer tips', third thread in the sticky list... Don't know if it's any good but you might want to try that...

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Paul: welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. Lots of good folk here on this site.

This link in the 'sticky' section of the G1 discussion forum provides info and links. At times maybe too simplistic, but useful info.

Regards,

·
Registered
393 Posts
Check out the Encyclopedia and Knowledge Base here...

@olrowdy01 has a guide here: looking-for-insight

Another on Ecomodder:

Buying a used 2000-2006 Honda Insight: What problems to watch for - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Green Car Reports:

Buying A Used 2000-2006 Honda Insight Hybrid: The Guide

and take a look thru the owners guide here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8und3NBaExpSWZ2REU/edit

These where the things that I looked at last summer when I started my search.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Well stated above, plus I recommend you drive EVERY Insight that you see for sale. Even if you know it's not the one for you, at least drive them! They are rare, and you should be familiar with how they drive, and feel so you don't pass up on one that's good because you mistakenly think it is too low on power or too squeaky in the front. Or conversely, you don't pick one with a poor battery over one equally good car with a good battery. You get the point, learn as much as you can.

If you put your location in your User CP, local Insight owners may even offer you free test drives/rides. If in VA, shoot me a PM.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Awesome. Thanks all.

The one I am looking at next week has a very low miles. (less than 50k). New IMA battery pack three years ago. Has only been driven about 20k-25k miles in the last 9 years! Is that a worry point?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would go ahead and buy it. The car will pay for itself in fuel savings.

The consensus knowledge on an Insight not being driven regularly leads to battery pack imbalance. Probably recoverable with a good grid charge. May require deep discharge and grid charge. Find someone (within 100 miles of you?) who has experience grid charging and they can help you get started.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
58 Posts
$9,550 is too high for a small car so old (I wasn't aware of the price when I wrote my previous post).

Though technically it would still pay for itself. With gas prices being low I am saving $800 per 10,000 miles driven. At $9,550 it would take 120,000 miles of driving to pay for itself. Can the Insight go that long? Yes. Conservatively I estimate a car will go 200,000 miles when evaluating purchase price or major repair cost.

So I would figure out what my highest offer is and negotiate. Be willing to walk away...

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
58 Posts
The biggest swing in value of these cars is the state of the IMA battery. Three years old is half-way through expected life. Being lightly driven is not good. Is the 3-year old battery pack from Honda? If so that isn't worth much as Honda's IMA battery packs are built from salvaged battery "sticks" and may have even sat in a warehouse for a few years. Only a few companies provide 100% new cells in their battery packs, like Hybrid Revolt and Bumblebee Batteries. Of course a Honda dealer would never tell you this but read the forum and you will see. So if it is a Honda battery pack you should discount the price $1,500 to $2,500 and save that money for a new battery pack down the road.

Is the IMA light on? That would be a big red flag that you should discount the full $2,500 as you may not get much life out of the battery pack and would have to buy one soon.

When you test drive the car try to figure out the remaining capacity in the battery pack. Drive using heavy acceleration and see how quickly the battery state-of-charge bar-graph falls. If you can take it from 1/2 full to empty in 10 minutes of heavy accelerating in stop-and-go driving, the battery pack capacity is low. If the state of charge only drops part way during that test it may be OK.

I can safely say from the fact the battery pack is 3 years old and during that time the car was lightly driven you can discount a "full price" at least $1,200. Further investigation and a test drive can help you better understand the battery pack you are buying. The car itself is pretty reliable. There are common things that wear out but at 38,000 miles those won't be a problem yet.

One other thing you might want to check are the tires. Bridgestone Potenza RE92 are the original tires Honda shipped these cars with. The tire size is 165/65R14. This is an odd size since it is so small. So check what tires are on the car and what size. Often a slightly larger size will be fitted or a different brand since they are more available at the tire store. The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in the size for this car 165/65R14 are low-rolling-resistance tires. If there are any other tires than these you should know it will affect the mileage. And what is the condition of the tires? Look for tread depth remaining, cracking on the side from rubber drying out, fading from age, etc. The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$9550 ??? Too steep IMO. A good one will come along for much less.

Has 38K miles on it. Everything works. Second owner. he bought it with 11K miles. replaced IMA at Honda dealer in 2013.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The biggest swing in value of these cars is the state of the IMA battery. Three years old is half-way through expected life. Being lightly driven is not good. Is the 3-year old battery pack from Honda? If so that isn't worth much as Honda's IMA battery packs are built from salvaged battery "sticks" and may have even sat in a warehouse for a few years. Only a few companies provide 100% new cells in their battery packs, like Hybrid Revolt and Bumblebee Batteries. Of course a Honda dealer would never tell you this but read the forum and you will see. So if it is a Honda battery pack you should discount the price $1,500 to $2,500 and save that money for a new battery pack down the road.

Is the IMA light on? That would be a big red flag that you should discount the full $2,500 as you may not get much life out of the battery pack and would have to buy one soon.

When you test drive the car try to figure out the remaining capacity in the battery pack. Drive using heavy acceleration and see how quickly the battery state-of-charge bar-graph falls. If you can take it from 1/2 full to empty in 10 minutes of heavy accelerating in stop-and-go driving, the battery pack capacity is low. If the state of charge only drops part way during that test it may be OK.

I can safely say from the fact the battery pack is 3 years old and during that time the car was lightly driven you can discount a "full price" at least $1,200. Further investigation and a test drive can help you better understand the battery pack you are buying. The car itself is pretty reliable. There are common things that wear out but at 38,000 miles those won't be a problem yet.

One other thing you might want to check are the tires. Bridgestone Potenza RE92 are the original tires Honda shipped these cars with. The tire size is 165/65R14. This is an odd size since it is so small. So check what tires are on the car and what size. Often a slightly larger size will be fitted or a different brand since they are more available at the tire store. The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in the size for this car 165/65R14 are low-rolling-resistance tires. If there are any other tires than these you should know it will affect the mileage. And what is the condition of the tires? Look for tread depth remaining, cracking on the side from rubber drying out, fading from age, etc. The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires are not cheap.

Tanks for the great and specific advice. I may drive over there this week and test drive it. It's 6 hours one way, so it's an overnight adventure. Owner says he things the tire sneed replacing (I'm guessing they are original). Battery pack was done at the Honda dealer. Thanks again.

Paul

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the great and specific advice. I may drive over there this week and test drive it. It's 6 hours one way, so it's an overnight adventure.

Owner says he things the tires need replacing (I'm guessing they are original).

Battery pack was done at the Honda dealer.

Thanks again.

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts