Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight [manual]
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mainly drive my Insight in city traffic as everything is pretty close to me, however "aggressive" economical driving can lower the pack over time as it doesn't recharge as much as it uses in stop and go traffic. I'm still getting to know the car better to to accelerate efficiently on both time battery and gas. I've noticed while staying a steady speed at lowish throttle the IMA shows 3 bars regen but I don't sustain that for long as there's a stop sign up ahead.

Part of my problem is the synchros. I've been getting better at double clutching and and rev matching and downshifting to 2nd when coming to a stop rather than flipping to neutral when I reach a speed too low for 3rd gear to regen like I've mainly been doing as I learn the car (15-20mph). If I let the car slow down in 3rd until it completely stops regen it's often too late to go to 2nd before stopping.

Do I just need to slow down/stop in 2nd gear more for better regen braking in city driving?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Look into the calpod switch post in search box. When I run it hard in short burst in city I flip it to no ima battery mode. This will help some from drain down the pack, you may have a few bad cells in your pack.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I highly recommend a calpod switch. When the battery is low, simply toggle the switch when accelerating and you won't use any assist. It basically allows adequate control over assist and regen such that you can keep the SoC wherever you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts