Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a small trailer and attaching it to the car for some long cross country driving.

Is there a end all be all best tow hitch option for the insight that can hold a decent weight safely and pull a small trailer just big enough for suitcases and random stuff.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
A hitch is only recommended or used around here for a bike rack. This not a towing vehicle. It would be dangerous. That said, there are folks who have a hitch for a bike rack that may use a small trailer to go to the nursery or dump. But across country? Take less or a bigger car.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
With a 500lb motorcycle trailer from U-Haul and a 500lb bike on it (so about 1,000 lb) in tow, on flat roads, at about 50-55mph, I managed 40mpg in my Insight. Not bad at all. With a 1,200lb trailer (5x9' utility trailer from U-Haul) and a 500lb bike on it, the mileage drops to 28-29mpg at 50mph on flat roads. Not good. Trailer tires inflated to 60psi.

You don't want hills - basically, keep the RPM around 2,200-2,500, meaning the speed varies between 40 and 60mph, depending on whether it is a gentle uphill, flat, or downhill.

Anything over 500lb weight is pushing it, but up to 1,000 seems to quite reasonable on flat roads. It's no worse than having 3-4 people in the car, if the trailer is loaded courtly. Keep the speed down, because the rear end is light and your handling in an emergency braking during a turn will be affected. Straight line and gentle turn braking is fine.

Over a 1,000lb in tow will shorten the transmission life, probably, and I think is not really safe in an emergency situation, where the rear end might get loose (unlike with 1,000 in the car, which loads the tires and improves traction).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
When I haul gravel or quick creek I use sport mode and take it easy. I limit myself to 900 lbs and spread it over the rear seats. I traveled 64 miles this weekend, hauled 25 bags of quick creek and 25 bags of gravel. 36 mpg. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts