Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
I'm in the "rev it as high as you want as often as you want" camp. These engines are tough. I've never heard of one wearing out, throwing a rod, or anything, unless it was overheated.

Sam

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I would like a system that the ac turns on only when my foot is off the gas

Right now i do this manually or better yet maybe when engine load is below a certain level like when your going down hill

Scenario freeway driving. As you going over an over pass ac turns off as you are going down your ac turns on. When i do it manually the ac reduces my gas mileage very little as compared to leaving it on all the time

Also as you going ro a stop sign car in gear rpms up and regenarating you injectors are off so you get ac for free

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a complicated relay setup and four switches. First I'll detail how my Millennium Falcon-esque setup is wired, then I'll explain how I use it while driving.

<snip>very useful info</snip>

Usage Scenarios

<snip>more very useful info</snip>
I have been consumed by body work which is preventing me from finishing the car and getting to know it better. So this is VERY helpful in helping me figure out how these mods work, and I want to start installing them as soon as I'm on the road (this week, hopefully!) Today I put some work into a Logitech Wingman which is going to be my new shift knob and gives me three momentary buttons and one momentary trigger button, which will be used for these functions.

It sounds like you never turn the clutch button off. Since you have a momentary button on the steering wheel, is the dash button effectively a master switch? Any reason not to make it a master switch for all mods, for example, disabling them for a valet?

Next, if I understand correctly, when you are accelerating and need assist, you won't get it until you tap the clutch button on the steering wheel or turn off the master, to allow IMA to function normally. When you do that, how long does it take for full assist to develop?

If sufficiently fast, would it be useful to have some kind of "stomp detection" that renables the IMA by disabling the clutch circuit when demanded urgently? Does one often find the accelerator floored when assist is off, making stomp detection not so trivial?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,716 Posts
# Yeah the one on the left acts as a master-off switch. I put it there months before I got the S2000 steering wheel which has the extra buttons on it, so it's kinda redundant, but I like it because it has a LED that illuminates it when the switch is on.

# IMA assist starts IMMEDIATELY upon turning off clutch switch. No warmup or lag or anything it's there for you in a fraction of a second of turning the switch off.

# I drive with clutch switch on at almost all times, except when like regening. I almost never use IMA assist because my IMA is dead. The reason I still have it in the car is because I use it to start the car, and I use that Auto-Stop "EFAS" button of mine which like with the IMA there when I shift into gear the IMA makes the car come out of Auto-Stop like normal.

I prefer Auto-Stop over other forms of stopping the engine because while in normal Auto-Stop the car:
- Keeps the EPS working
- Monitors the brake system and will start the car and recharge the brakes if the hydraulic pressure goes too low
- Car lets you shift into gear to restart instead of having to key-on start it
- You get Lean Burn again after only 4 second after restarting engine (as opposed to 10 seconds if you use an injector-kill switch or key-off or whatever)

# A Valet doesn't need anything disabled, except maybe the clutch switch. If they don't perform the right sequence of inputs for example, the EFAS button on the shifter won't do anything. If they look at the steering wheel buttons they have stock writing from Honda indicating cruise control functions. If they were to press those they'd either get the brake lights to light up or they'd see the clutch switch light turn on and off. None of this would present a safety concern in a valet context.

If I wanted to I could maybe put a switch somewhere hidden to cut power to the circuit board with Arduino #2 and that would disable the steering wheel buttons.

# Stomp detection... I've had a clutch switch in all of the Insights I've driven since 2015 putting approximately 60k miles on them if you added it up, and I've never like been in a situation where I had to floor it so suddenly that I would have urgently needed IMA assist. With my steering wheel buttons, like I can disable the clutch switch right there at my right thumb in less than a second if I needed to.

I'm usually only flooring it if I'm like starting to go again and there's a hill immediately in front of me or if I'm on the highway and I come to a long hill. Sometimes I might floor it on an onramp.

·
Registered
791 Posts
# Yeah the one on the left acts as a master-off switch. I put it there months before I got the S2000 steering wheel which has the extra buttons on it, so it's kinda redundant, but I like it because it has a LED that illuminates it when the switch is on.
Awesome, then I'm going to steal your idea and use this as a master switch.

# IMA assist starts IMMEDIATELY upon turning off clutch switch. No warmup or lag or anything it's there for you in a fraction of a second of turning the switch off.
This is good to know. I was hoping I could regard the clutch switch, when enabled, kind of like an "economy" or "normal" mode, and the pushbutton to provide instant "power" or "boost" (even though it's really the normal mode). Nice to know that if things are dragging and I need assist, pushing the button will give an immediate kick.

# I drive with clutch switch on at almost all times, except when like regening. I almost never use IMA assist because my IMA is dead. The reason I still have it in the car is because I use it to start the car, and I use that Auto-Stop "EFAS" button of mine which like with the IMA there when I shift into gear the IMA makes the car come out of Auto-Stop like normal.

I prefer Auto-Stop over other forms of stopping the engine because while in normal Auto-Stop the car:
- Keeps the EPS working
- Monitors the brake system and will start the car and recharge the brakes if the hydraulic pressure goes too low
- Car lets you shift into gear to restart instead of having to key-on start it
- You get Lean Burn again after only 4 second after restarting engine (as opposed to 10 seconds if you use an injector-kill switch or key-off or whatever)
Saw your auto-stop design. I recall that you are faking out the speed signal to the IMA. Nicely done.

# A Valet doesn't need anything disabled, except maybe the clutch switch. If they don't perform the right sequence of inputs for example, the EFAS button on the shifter won't do anything. If they look at the steering wheel buttons they have stock writing from Honda indicating cruise control functions. If they were to press those they'd either get the brake lights to light up or they'd see the clutch switch light turn on and off. None of this would present a safety concern in a valet context.

If I wanted to I could maybe put a switch somewhere hidden to cut power to the circuit board with Arduino #2 and that would disable the steering wheel buttons.
I've been thinking about installing an RFID reader to enable these features and maybe others.

# Stomp detection... I've had a clutch switch in all of the Insights I've driven since 2015 putting approximately 60k miles on them if you added it up, and I've never like been in a situation where I had to floor it so suddenly that I would have urgently needed IMA assist. With my steering wheel buttons, like I can disable the clutch switch right there at my right thumb in less than a second if I needed to.

I'm usually only flooring it if I'm like starting to go again and there's a hill immediately in front of me or if I'm on the highway and I come to a long hill. Sometimes I might floor it on an onramp.
Sounds like low or no priority then. Thanks for the tips.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,716 Posts
Saw your auto-stop design. I recall that you are faking out the speed signal to the IMA. Nicely done.
Minor correction, it sends a fake VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal to the ECU not the IMA, on ECU connector C pin 5. (Connector C is the blue connector.) The idea isn't mine, it came from racer26 and he implemented it on his Insight before I joined the community, but he rolled his Insight at some point and left us. My implementation is a little different though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Clutch Switch and IMA pack life

My daily drive is 60 miles of gentle rolling interstate with 4 miles of city at either end. When the pack was weak a few years ago, before I replaced it with a new BumbleBee, i would get through town, turn of the IMA with the clutch switch for the highway leg, then turn it back on in town to preserve the pack charge. This nursed the weak pack for a year.

The question I have is, would driving the same way with a healthy pack (disabling IMA for the long, easy interstate leg) lengthen the life of the pack, or be detrimental because the IMA system is not being exercised through the complete, normal operation of the car?

·
Registered
154 Posts
So I've tried the whole poor mans clutch switch with a paperclip. I see this is fairly more advance....is there a kit?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,716 Posts
I had a pre-made clutch switch, but I recently put it into someone else's Insight.

I talked about it in another thread, the problem when designing a clutch switch kit is there are competing goals.
- Maintain stock appearance of interior
- Not cost a lot of money
- Have some way of letting the driver know it's activated or deactivated
- Ease of use

Because of relative importance from one driver to the next on this list, I haven't designed a clutch switch kit. Something right for one driver won't be acceptable to another driver.

(Click Here if Photo Doesn't Load)

If the photo loads, above is my red Insight's current setup. My old "master" clutch switch is on the left, and is in the on position and is illuminated. When turned off either by pressing it or by toggling its state with the "RESUME" remote button on the steering wheel the light goes off. The "SET" button on the wheel acts as a brake switch. My Auto-Stop EFAS button is currently zip-tied to my shifter.

This works very well for me, but many other drivers would be aghast if their car looked like this on the inside.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mudder and Rainsux are great for the inside scoop! This winter I will install clutch rocker-type switches on all Insights. Living in Colorado, I'm sooOOO tired of the car back-ground charging (like a little built in head wind) on the long level stretches, then when the super re-gen downhills come, the IMA is like: - "I'm all charged up! No need for re-gen now, just burn those brakes down this long steep hill!" I'm finally sick enough of not having sufficient control over when my IMA battery charges, that I WILL snuggle under the dash with a hot soldering iron...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clutch Switch and IMA pack life

My daily drive is 60 miles of gentle rolling interstate with 4 miles of city at either end. When the pack was weak a few years ago, before I replaced it with a new BumbleBee, i would get through town, turn of the IMA with the clutch switch for the highway leg, then turn it back on in town to preserve the pack charge. This nursed the weak pack for a year.

The question I have is, would driving the same way with a healthy pack (disabling IMA for the long, easy interstate leg) lengthen the life of the pack, or be detrimental because the IMA system is not being exercised through the complete, normal operation of the car?
I'm late to this party, reading up on clutch switches. I have the exact same question as above, which was never addressed in this thread. If one of you folk who can speak to this would it would be epic. Everything I'm reading and being told by Bumblebee people tells me the IMA needs to be exercised regularly or the battery life is compromised.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Clutch switch use: I use it to turn off charge/discharge when I’m driving at highway speeds, like the others say. A use I’ve not seen mentioned (or missed). If the car is very hot, like from sitting in the sun, I turn off charge/discharge until I get the interior of the car cooled down so the battery can work at a more reasonable temperature.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clutch switch use: I use it to turn off charge/discharge when I’m driving at highway speeds, like the others say. A use I’ve not seen mentioned (or missed). If the car is very hot, like from sitting in the sun, I turn off charge/discharge until I get the interior of the car cooled down so the battery can work at a more reasonable temperature.
The G1 does some dumb things with the battery such as using it all for no reason on a long hill and then it starts to regen while you're still going up the hill. You can use the switch to stop undesired behaviour like that.
Thank you both. What I was trying to find out was not why, I understand that part, but my question had to do with the battery. If we are forcing it not to be used and chargeD, does that not possibly sacrifice reliability since from what I am hearing from the BUMBLEBEE Yodas the battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
^ My understanding is that, if you have a Bumblebee pack, at least one aspect of what BB recommends is to regularly 'top-up' the pack - in the OEM sense of the term. I'm not positive what that would look like going off just the BAT gauge bars; I think in most cases that would be dropping down to at least bar 17 and letting the car bring it back up to at least bar 19. Within that interval, the battery computer is doing this top-up thing, behind the scenes...

What Natalya and Arbus describe are, I think, the best types of uses for the Calpod - you use it for your convenience, to make IMA use pan-out over the types of driving circumstances you encounter. Windy highway driving is a perfect example - the IMA will kick in and out in really annoying ways, better to just down shift and forget the IMA, disable it.

But none of this has anything to do with pack longevity. In general, there's no usage of the Calpod that we know of that will increase pack life. If you have a basket case pack, then you can use it to get around that to some extent. If the pack is really hot (probably like above 110F), using the Calpod to disable the IMA will probably help longevity, especially if you're in a hilly region and doing assist and regen back-to-back frequently. But that's about the extent of it's utility vis-a-vis longevity...

I have an 18 year-old pack and expect it to deliver all the assist I ever command, and accept all the regen I ever throw at it. And it generally does. I flog it daily. I think people with new packs should be able to expect the same. Life's too short to have to worry about degrading your IMA pack.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First I'll detail how my Millennium Falcon-esque setup is wired, then I'll explain how I use it while driving.
VERY useful if you’re trying to make the Kessel Run in just 12 parsecs, especially if your navigation droid has been shot to heck. 😁

- Park

21 - 36 of 36 Posts