Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a second 12v socket to my 2010 insight. I don't want the clutter of one of those external multi-socket extenders that plug into the existing cig adapter. I want to keep the original socket, and add another into the deep pocket immediately adjacent to the cig adapter and wire it in behind the panel.

I think the best way would be to get a set of the same quick connect electrical connectors used on the insight, and fabricate a pig tail that splits in two. There's not much spare length in the wire coming from behind the dash and I'm leary of doing a splice that will hold up for years and not short out.

Anyone know where I can get the right connectors, or have any better ideas on how to add a 2nd power socket near the original?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I suggest using the add a circuit fuse holder and tap the accessory fuse. Thats assuming the load will be small like a cell phone charger. I dont think the outlet is rated for anything over 10 amps. With dual outlets you would need to split the load to not exceed the total.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
He could tap directly off of the 12 Volt batery for more power; if needed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
id like this mod too
but not really sure how to do it :confused:

i was thinkin of just getting 2 extra wires and connect them to the existing socket and then just connect the extra socket to the new wires

didnt sound like the "right way thou"

·
Registered
161 Posts
39624-SZ3-L01 seems to be the socket part (under INTERIOR/BUMPER => INSTRUMENT PANEL GARNISH/PASSENGER SIDE), but I don't know where the cable connecting part is located. If I can find that, I can have an extra plug internally for dashcam use.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,597 Posts
You are correct Cheesie, Wire it parallel not in series to the existing socket. But like said before, Don't exceed the max. amperage of the fuse protecting the socket.

Willie

·
Registered
649 Posts
yay !
correct for the first time ;)
haha

so i got it done by some guys who actually knows bout this stuff
i didnt wanna mess with it..

i actually left the stock socket alone
he just added an extra wire soomewhere in the harness
he also added a 15 amp fuse so if i use too much current that will just pop and ill still be saved :)

what u guys think?
was this smarter than my original idea?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Not digging the 15 amp fuse. I think the circuit is rated at 10 amps, hope he didnt tap the accessory fuse,

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I agree that 15 amps is too much unless the gauge wire they used is thick and can handle it. Actually, I've read on one of the HID sites that Honda uses thicker wires and that 15 amps is alright. If you want to play it safe just swap it out to a 10 amp.

·
Registered
649 Posts
well
he didnt tap the fuse box

he tapped some wires in the steering wheel :confused:
idk if thats ok

by the way this is in my civic 03 not my I2
i dont wanna mess with extra wires/ power in this car.... could be tricky

im taking my car to the mechanic to fix somethings
ill ask him if the guy did a good job

maybe i should switch the fuse to 10 amps too

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,597 Posts
I hope he didn't tap into the air bag line.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts