Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first I1! whats the best modification or maintince to improve mpg considering difficulty and costs?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Double post.don't do that. Have patience, someone will respond.
Learn to drive differently. Then the mods can come into place.
Location in your User CP/Detail/Location Please.
HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Get the Potenza RE92 tires and air them up to 50psi. That makes a huge difference! The other big thing is just learning to drive the I1 to take advantage of its unique abilities.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what i noticed

I think and correct me if im wrong but the mima would be ideal for highway because your in lean burn and when you need to accelerate the car kicks out of lean burn AND assist. IF MIMA was added then you could assist while still in lean burn?

·
6,942 Posts
That is correct, and is the main reason that MIMA allows a 5-15% boost in fuel economy depending on your local conditions.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Next to MIMA would be a PHEV kit. :D Depending on the manufacture you can get up to a 15mpg boost.

Next of course is eco mods that apply to all cars. Grill blocks, extending the lower air dam, moon disks, make sure your rear wheel covers are on in place and playing with tire psi.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
737 Posts
The very best mod and cheapest (virtually free) is to modify the "nut behind the wheel." Slowing down to the PSL on the highway, timing lights so they're green when you get there, conserve momentum, route planning (time of day, grouping trips together, etc.), drive as though your brakes are out, accelerate at as close to 50 mpg on the FCD as possible, let speed drop when cresting hills by holding the throttle steady instead of pressing harder to maintain speed are just a few of the "mods" I use. Of course, several of those things will be dependent on how much traffic is present. Also, untill you maximize your driving skills it will be difficult, if not impossible, to tell how effective the mods are/were.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMA computer

is there anyway to mess with the IMA computer I dont want to have to manualy tell my insight to charge and to assist I want it to do it by it self or if a MIMA system can o back into auto mode??

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
A "CARD" switch is the best way, but learn to drive for max. mpg first.

Willie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know how to drive Im getting 66 in the city and 80 on the highway completley stock with no fender skirts and a sparetire oh and btw I have a radiator block ( piece of cardboard found in the dumpster) other thatn that renisha is pretty stock where can i find these cards?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
is there anyway to mess with the IMA computer I dont want to have to manualy tell my insight to charge and to assist I want it to do it by it self or if a MIMA system can o back into auto mode??
I guess I don't understand your question because the IMA system charges and assists automatically; i.e., you don't have to tell it to charge or assist.

MIMA provides various levels of control over IMA. You can use the MIMA mode that turns off automatic charge and assist so that you control them completely using MIMA's joystick. You can configure the amount of charge and assist with MIMA so that just a slight press of the accelerator results in assist or a slight lift of the accelerator results in charge. You can use MIMA to turn off the automatic "background" charge that occurs without any indication on the charge gauge. There are many other IMA properties that can be adjusted with MIMA, so in this respect, MIMA messes with IMA. But MIMA doesn't defeat any of the IMA safeguards (e.g., overcharge, over discharge, over temperature, etc.). MIMA is a very nice addition to an Insight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so can you go mack to auctomatic ima I thinnk the M in MIMA stands for manual. also how much does the MIMA system cost??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fender skirt screws

Hey do yal know anything that holds the fender skirts in place. I lost 3 of the stock screws the big black ones.

·
6,942 Posts
By default, MIMA is in "MIMA On Demand" mode, which means the car is stock unless you use the joysticks.

MIMA costs about $1000.

Best MPG is at 45-55mph.

The screws that hold the fender skirts are called Dzus fasteners and are available at motorcycle shops and of course at the honda dealership.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Hey do yal know anything that holds the fender skirts in place. I lost 3 of the stock screws the big black ones.
Some people have resorted to zip ties. They would certainly work in a pinch, but I probably wouldn't use them as a permanent solution.

Otherwise, search for "dzus" in the Google search field near the upper left corner of the page. The OEM fastener is a steel Dzus fastener.

Make sure the "nuts" that the fasteners screw into are still attached to the body and aren't damaged.

You can prevent the Dzus fastener from falling out of the fender skirt by forcing a tight-fitting lock washer (the kind with the locking teeth around the hole rather than around the outside edge) over the fastener while the fender skirt isn't attached to the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just spent my day repair my rear windshield wiper sprayer. the hose came disconnected at the sprayer and leaked out of the roof that was fun

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A "CARD" switch is the best way, but learn to drive for max. mpg first.

Willie
you never anwswered me about this anyones info would be great

btw the washer fluid was diluted with tap water ( mabey the reason it got clogged in the first place) and came out the roof interior and down the side of the passenger at the back window. you could only tell because of the sound and the darkess of the fabric being soaed. i looked on another automotive forum and guys said they tough mabey the tap water had minerals in the tap water. IDK I had to take off the trunk shock bolts the and the roof th seat belts to get to the hose connection but shes back together

1 - 20 of 61 Posts