Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to make my ride mine. Carve a new manual shift knob and install a leather wheel cover. So first some questions.
The shift lever supposedly unscrews. Counter clock I’m guessing. Mines pretty tight. Can anything be harmed by applying the force needed to break it loose?
Are there some good after market leather covers that fit g1 steering wheels that any one would recommend.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
I didn't know you could sew Sam. Did the misses teach you?
(MED time)

Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Nope. I have no idea how to do it. There's a Youtube video which I'll watch about 12 times before I start.

Sam

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nope. I have no idea how to do it. There's a Youtube video which I'll watch about 12 times before I start.

Sam
I stitched up one of those covers on my steering wheel. I'm not sure how your cover goes on because my kit didn't have any adhesive and came with two needles and two long hanks of twine. My cover is faux "leather".

I also looked on youtube and there are several different stitches you can choose from.

I saw one video posted by a woman that does it for a living and she said she can stitch up a wheel in less than two hours.

Sounded simple enough (except it took me NINE hours to do it)!! And you can't drive the car with two loooong pieces of twine, two needles and the unfinished part of the cover hanging from your wheel while you are completing the job.

So choose the stitch you like carefully because you will be doing it for quite awhile. ;)

The hardest part of the job is when you get to the spokes because the distance across the visible part of the spoke is different than around the back of the spoke. I managed to stretch the back and double up two of the front holes with fake stitching around the visible and back side of the cover at the spokes.

The finished product looks good and feels much better than the sun damaged part of the actual wheel.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

Sam

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Never had luck with wheel covers, always pulled them off after a while. My preference would be to buy an S2000 or RSX Type S steering wheel, which is identical to the Insight wheel except leather, and have cruise control wiring.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I finished the shift lever. Julián Edgar talked about the advantages of a heavier shifter. I looked around my shop for something heavy to make it out of. Found a piece of desert iron wood that has kicked around my shop for thirty years. Roughed it out. Drilled it to match the original less an allowance for threads.bought a 120mm long 10mm coarse thread bolt, filed six angled notches in it to make a tap. Cut the threads. And slowly shaped it with saws and files till it fit my hand while maintaining as much mass as possible. It ended up at 12 oz.
Three times the stock grip. The shift has an effortless positive feel and way more class than the original. Plus the fun of a few hours of putter time in my shop. Now I’m waiting for the leather wheel cover. Meanwhile I’m looking for some buffalo leather so I can use the $8 cover as a template for the buffalo. Any one out there know where to buy a piece of buffalo leather?
Found some.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Olrowdy01 that’s where I found it.
By the way when I was in college I loved lotus cars, the Elan and the 7.
The seven was available as a kit from Lotus for I believe just under $1300.i almost bought one. But a 59 Mercedes 220 S mechanics special showed up for $600 and I went for that instead.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I scored this S2K wheel for $50, and it was a huge improvement, its lighter and feels so much nicer! I also have a weighted Mishimoto shift knob that makes shifts feel buttery smooth, also well worth the $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Install a "Short Shifter" and you will really be excited.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One issue w. G1s is cabin noise. I’m adding ordinary thick carpet. Floor, driver and passenger side, clear in under the seats. Cargo deck too. On bumps I hear the spare, jack and tools bounce in their storage, so I’ll carpet that too. I find it adds lots of sound absorption and damping. It works. A little extra weight. But a big dif. In ambiance and comfort.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
EricTheWood;
A short shifter is the mechanism that shorten the "throw" of the shifter (front to rear). You do not make any changes to the shifter stalk.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts