Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, has anybody out there ever heard of or used a Platinum Fuel Saver. They claim it can increase fuel efficiency by 15%-25% :shock: so I'm thinking about getting one for my insight. If anybody has used one please let me know how well it worked. Those of you who have never heard of it before and are maybe interested you can find out more info at americalfuelsaver.com

·
Registered
242 Posts
fuel saver

Hi conservebiodiversity,

there ain't no free ride. You're driving one of the best fuel saving devices available. If you believe you can add some device to your car that will increase FE by 15 - 25%, I'm sure there is someone waiting to sell you a bridge or some land in Florida...

Take a little time to read through the info at this link: http://www.fuelsaving.info/index.htm

If you do find something that will get all of us up to the 100 mpg mark, please let us know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hehehe,

Infomercials have a hypnotic effect if you let yourself watch them too many times...

:shock:

But on a side note:

I am well aware that this particular item is bunk, but if someone found a product similar to this one that did work, would the ECM even know? I mean would the ECM be able to calc the difference into the dash mpg display? I'm guessing no, but the Insight engine/ECM does manage to keep pretty good track of itself!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Platinum is a catalyst that facilitates certain chemical reactionswhile not changing itself. I can't see how it would help. Personally I'd like to see someone come up with practical cold fusion, but I digress. :D If you buy one and it works, I guess we should expect to see you competing in the Tour de Sol next spring. :wink:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When the first line of a website is:

This Fuel Saver is legitimate and was tested by an impartial and independant company and will work for you.
...be worried.

It would take far too long to point out all the factual errors and technical problems with the content of that website. Suffice it to say that it doesn't work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought the 'platinum fuel saver' was just some silly "air spinner" thing you put in the air intake tube that supplies the intake maifold. The term platinum in that case would just be marketing BS, or are we talking about something else?

·
Registered
489 Posts
bpapa9013 said:
I am well aware that this particular item is bunk, but if someone found a product similar to this one that did work, would the ECM even know? I mean would the ECM be able to calc the difference into the dash mpg display? I'm guessing no, but the Insight engine/ECM does manage to keep pretty good track of itself!
The ECM calculates mileage using a fuel flow sensor and the vehicle's spedometer. Hence it could compensate for any method of fuel-saving.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Foxpaw said:
The ECM calculates mileage using a fuel flow sensor and the vehicle's spedometer. Hence it could compensate for any method of fuel-saving.
Since we're trying to be technically accurate;

There's no fuel flow sensor.

It _appears_ that MPG is calculated internal to the gauge cluster's CPU, BCM or MCM (ETM p.g.80, SM 12-10 & 12-14)via METSCI1 & METSCI2 (Meter Serial Communication 1 & 2). There are no other signals inputs that could be used by the gauge unit for this purpose.

Using distance traveled (VSS sensor) and injector on time calculated by the ECM for injector pulse MPG can be derived. Since the fuel pressure is constant and the nozzle size is known adding up the injector on time effectively yields quantity consumed. With this calculation there is probably a modest error factor that must be compensated for via other undisclosed means.

Back OT;

Yup this device is pure snake oil. But hey its priced 1/2 off so even if I try it I'm saving almost $100. :p

HTH! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
bpapa9013 said:
I thought the 'platinum fuel saver' was just some silly "air spinner" thing you put in the air intake tube that supplies the intake maifold. The term platinum in that case would just be marketing BS, or are we talking about something else?
Thats the tornado air

http://www.tornadoair.com/WhereToBuy.php

They Don't make one specifically for the insight, and I am unsure if they make one that fits the tiny air intake between the filter and the engine block. Next question however is, would this add to or detract from an insights FE?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Guess we'll have to rename this thread the "Snake Oil" thread. :p

If it sounds too good to be true it probebly is :!: If the Tornado fuel saver _really_ came even close to its claim in other cars how could the ground swell of consumer demand be stopped :?:

With that said their fuel saver _probably_ does what its advertized to do on their _TESTED MODEL_ and under _SPECIFIC_ driving conditions. I have no experience with it nor am I inclined to purchase any like devices (MPG "boosters"). But if you need the education its a relatively cheap sort. Buy one and prove it to yourself.

Carburators were the best of their time but are very inaccurate in both fuel delivery and atomization compaired to any fuel injection system today. There was room for improvement in many limited and specific ways.

Simply more snake oil. There are _hundreds_ of such "products" out there.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe so, but theoretically, improved vortical airflow in the cylinder chamber should increase fuel air mix and increase the eveness of the burn, improving combustive output, even if gains are only nominal.

Now in an HCCI or deisel motor, I am sure gains would be much smaller to imperceptible as compression is MUCH higher in those applications. They get better burn by that said compression increase, yet in a gasoline ICE, I could at least see the feasibility of improvements from the Tornado Air or like product.

If nothing else it should help emissions, as less N20 should be produced from the original burn. :arrow: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yes indeed, I could see it working on my first car, a 70's Ford LTD with a 400 cubic inch engine and a perhaps a 2 barrel carb. Sounded like a toilet flushing when you took off the air cleaner. :roll: Worse mileage than a Hummer! :shock:

I think John's point was that if was relatively simple, and worked, Honda would already have it on their engines, (given their longstanding experimentation with lean burn technologies).

There are always the "can't see the forest for the trees" and "gee why didn't I think of that" factors. In this case you will have to try it and let us know. BTW, congrats on your teriffic mileage. :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Sounded like a toilet flushing when you took off the air cleaner. :roll:
LOL :!: :lol:

There's a compairson / contrast that'll get you in _more_ trouble with the muscle car lovers than my "brute-force" one for the Prius. :p :p :p

Sounds like Subterfuge3927 needs to spend some money on his "education". ;) :p

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I do feel the need to point out that there are several cars on the market that come with built in "vortex generators". I can't think of any off hand, but I ran into an intake with a clearly factory cast unit installed. I think it may have even been the new Mustang? So in some applications, it does make a minimal difference. But in 99.9% of cases it's total and complete bunk. :)

On another note, I want to attach a windmill to the top of my Insight to charge the batteries while I drive. :roll:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
On another note, I want to attach a windmill to the top of my Insight to charge the batteries while I drive. :roll:
ROTFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After you finish with that, could you come over to my house and install that cold fusion generator?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts