Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is this mod compatible with the grid charger harness? Having already spliced into my existing fan wire, and mounted the temp probe for that.

·
Vendor
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
fyi, one of the more critical IMA DTCs, P1449-74, has a minimum temperature threshold of 77 degrees F. If the pack is kept to only 75F this fault would never register... I'd think you should have the fan set to around 80F...
I misspoke on the upper temperature limit. The fan starts to cool the battery at 80F, not 75F. I don't know where I got the 75F from, must of been something else I was working on as the fan was always set to start cooling at 80F.

Is this mod compatible with the grid charger harness? Having already spliced into my existing fan wire, and mounted the temp probe for that.
It is, but depending on what charger you have you must hook it up differently. If you are using our charger, Mike's Genesis One, or any charger that is actively monitoring the pack's temperature, then you must connect to the fan after the control board. This means you must run the charger's 12V fan power inside of the shroud and directly tape the red(+)/black(-) wires going to the fan. This allows the fan to run at full speed as the variable speed can end up tricking the charger's logic into shutting down too early.

If you have a charger that does not monitor the pack temperature, then splice into the fan wiring as normal and the control board will operate in its normal manner.

Whichever charger you use, make sure its 12V supply is up to the task of running the fan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The upgraded fan will not shut off during low speed driving or when stopped like the current fan does if cooling is needed. This is the perfect time to cool the battery as its typically not under much load, but the stock fan would shut down to provide a quiet cabin.
Does the stock fan run when the car is running, but in "Park"? I'm getting the dreaded 1449 code-overheating. So, I disconnected the 12v, re-connected it, then started the car and let in run for 20-30 minutes to see if the battery fan was working. The fan never ran. From what I see from your post, the fan wouldn't run when the car is stopped, and I would need to drive the car to see if it comes on, right?

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
The upgraded fan will not shut off during low speed driving or when stopped like the current fan does if cooling is needed. This is the perfect time to cool the battery as its typically not under much load, but the stock fan would shut down to provide a quiet cabin.
Does the stock fan run when the car is running, but in "Park"? I'm getting the dreaded 1449 code-overheating. So, I disconnected the 12v, re-connected it, then started the car and let in run for 20-30 minutes to see if the battery fan was working. The fan never ran. From what I see from your post, the fan wouldn't run when the car is stopped, and I would need to drive the car to see if it comes on, right?
There are 3-4 potential causes for P1449, and it's more commonly a battery failure. Did you blink the codes?

http://old.99mpg.com/mikestips/readingtheblinkcod/

·
Registered
10 Posts
I disconnected the `12v and cleared the codes. IMA acting fine for now, but once it stops again, I can check the subcodes. My earlier hunch the fan was bad was wrong. It' running fine now. It's weird-one day the battery fan never started while the car was running and in Park. The next day, it started running immediately after starting the car, and while still in Park. Will know more later, I guess..

·
Vendor
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello Revolt,

My 2005 Insight IMA Cooling fan failed. I guess I'm a prime candidate for one of your 170 cfm fan assemblies with the other items. Your price sounds good to me. I can ship all my old parts to you. Do you have a catalog for other items? I'm all ears. Thanks in advance, Jack
The fan, plus all the other offers we currently have for the Gen1 Insight are at the link below.

https://www.hybridrevolt.com/catalog/Honda-Hybrid-Battery/2000-2006-Insight-Hybrid-Battery

·
Vendor
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Eady to order and pay. Just follow that link, click on the upgraded fan, then 'add to cart'. From there just follow the checkout procedure.

Fan is $185, which includes the $50 core. $135 after you return the core.

·
Registered
70 Posts
But the website shows "Sold Out" - when will you have more available?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hello Matt,

I'm still having issues with the new cooling fan. The fan in high speed mode is not coming on. The red and black wires control that. Low speed does work, brown and black make that go. I've got power to the red and black wires, but it doesn't make it to the fan. The wires are intact. The charger/discharger is tied into the fan after the micro bd, so that may not be the issue. So it looks like I'll need another fan, I'll tie into the brown on that one.

I've been extremely careful not to slip up anywhere. I'm a fanatic when it comes to not screwing up. Can we make an arrangement to ship me another fan. :rolleyes: Thanks, Jack

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,590 Posts
Jack:
The high speed fan mode won't come on till your batteries reach a specific. temp. I think it is around 105F. IIRR.
You can always install a switch to always have it on high speed.
That is something the LRR has.
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,590 Posts
I assume you have read this:

Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,590 Posts
So you are using a Hybrid Revolt fan with a Prolong charger?
Yes the fan should come on when charging. Probably at slow speed.
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,590 Posts
Jack;
Call Scott, 909-605-3810. MF, 9-6 PST.
I don't have either charger.
Tell Him I said call.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts